Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairspring Vibrator "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Everyone,
I bought this old hairspring vibrator tool but unfortunately the spring(I think)in the slot underneath the small lever and the actual piece that turns the balance are missing from the lever. There is a spring or (partial spring)existing on the small peg next to the balance cock. Can any body enlighten me as to what these pieces should look like so I can repair this tool. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 6 | Location: New South Wales in Australia | Registered: January 12, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Eric the Lever would be used to stop the balance from spinning after you where finished vibrating your new balance hairspring. the way you turn the balance under the glass is to swing your wrist back and forth. The lever would also be used for storing the vibrator. INHO

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Hi Eugene
A newbie thanks you very much for that information it has made it all instantly clear. I was looking at that lever in the wrong way. It is only a brake then a positive lock after use. That is what the point on the front of the stand is for to turn the balance. Now to measure and make the 2 missing pieces.

Posts: 6 | Location: New South Wales in Australia | Registered: January 12, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Eric,
I made a short video one in use Video as the balance swings free for a extended period the lever is to be able to stop the balance swing and take control again before re testing the synchronization of both balances. It’s not supposed to lock in place nor be left touching the balance this could damage your reference balance.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks for posting that video!

Great technology.

Smile

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Debbie, amazing what you can do now hard to keep up with it all, I just found out I can upload those huge files to “you tube” so will be able to make much clearer and longer videos I just added a you tube link to the page.

you tube

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Hi Chris
Thank you for uploading the video. It always amazes me when I look at your various work on the internet. You just make it all look so simple. I made an electronic vibrator with an ir diode and receiver working when the balance arm crosses them linked to metronome program on a laptop. It seems to give good results on known good balances but I just wanted to compare with a mechanical vibrator to be sure but I just did not know how to use one correctly.
thanks again
Eric

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Eric,
These vibrators are getting hard to find and when they do show up get good money if you could make a simple interface box that works well and with the adjustable clamps would be a handy item, I always wondered about placing the balance over a small transducer and seeing what happens at the resonant frequency, I almost bought one with multiple reference balances I did wonder how much I would use it for the $750 asking price.

posted
Chris
This is my attempt to vibrate hairsprings electronicaly. You may get some ideas from the photo. Just an idea put together from bits and pieces.
Eric

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Eric,
looks a interesting setup, I imagine there would be a way of making a box for the timing machine I have.