Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch bell "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I was just curious if anyone ever collected and/or used the old watch makers 'watch bell'. It's the small glass dome (reminds you of a cheese dome, but with double thickness of glass) that old watch makers used to cover exposed movements when they were half way through a job, but not quite finished, so they'd cover the movement with the dome to keep dust and such out of the works until the next day. I came across one at an antique store last year for 10 dollars, but unfortunately was short at the time. When I went back a couple of weeks later, it had JUST been sold to a lady...to use as a CHEESE COVER!!! Sheesh! Anyway, is this something that sees much collection and use today? Regards. Mark Cross

IHC member #163
NAWCC number 157508

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark,
I myself don't use them, but then again i'm not a watchmaker and don't like cheese! eek big grin

Seriously, I don't see many (any) Old ones up for bid on eBay or anywhere else for that matter.
I would not mind having a few wink

Mike Nardick
NAWCC # 144409
IHC #185 Charter Member # 026
Allegheny Chapter # 37
mikena32@attbi.com

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Yep, it was bad enough that I didn't get it that day, but to sell it to cover CHEESE!!?? Talk about adding insult to injury! My search continues....Regards. Mark Cross

IHC member #163
NAWCC number 157508

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Past Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Jim Wallace
posted
Mark ..
I have a couple of originals that I will try to post pictures of later , BTW if you break a wine glass stem do not throw it away, just grind (use glasses !) the bottom where the stem attaches to the glass off and it makes a great dust cover for movements up to 37s ! I use them when removing movements from cases to protect them from dust.

Jim

Posts: 141 | Location: Near Anchorage, Alaska USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Looking forward to seeing your original watch bells. Thanks Jim! Regards. Mark

IHC member #163
NAWCC number 157508

posted
I also use "broken wine glasses" they work very well!! I didnt realize they actually manufactured bell covers!! I would like to see a picture of an origional one also!

NAWCC 157316
IHC member 156

Posts: 39 | Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada | Registered: November 23, 2002
Past Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Jim Wallace
posted
Well now you guys got me wondering if the Glass bells I have are for that purpose ? , I purchased an old watchmakers estate years ago and in it were several glass domes with round knobs on top that I assumed were for watch dust covers however I have not seen any glass domes in my old watch tool books that were designed for that.
I know some staking sets had glass domes so maybe thats what I have ? At any rate they are a great help on the workbench !

Jim

Posts: 141 | Location: Near Anchorage, Alaska USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hummm......
going upstairs to break a couple wine glasses.. cool

Wish I had a watchmakers bench frown

Mike Nardick
NAWCC # 144409
IHC #185 Charter Member # 026
Allegheny Chapter # 37
mikena32@attbi.com

[This message was edited by Mike Nardick on December 12, 2002 at 21:49.]

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
These were still being offered new in watch tool catalogs at least as late as 30 years ago, about the time I started working on watches. I have one which came as part of a set with two glass wash-out cups with glass covers. I used those wash-out cups to clean watches - by hand - until I finally bought a new ultrasonic this year. For more on this sort of thing, get a copy of THE CRAFT OF THE CLOCKMAKER, I don’t recall the author’s name. It shows the typical watch and clockmaker’s outfit from the 1800's, and how the various tools were used back then.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I think the 'trick' in spotting them is that the domes I've seen are MUCH heavier and thicker glass than a wine glass due to the fact that it was supposed to keep dust and moisture out of any exposed movement due to it's shear weight and mass. The one's I've seen had glass anywhere from an 1/8th to a quarter inch thick, so they're easy to spot as not being a standard 'cheese' dome. They're a lot smaller. Regards. Mark Cross

IHC member #163
NAWCC number 157508