Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Beautiful old Marshall Catalog 1925 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of William Chappell
posted
eBay currently has an auction for a 1925 C&E Marshall Catalog. My reason for writing is I recently won an auction for the same item and am absolutely delighted with it. My wife asked "How long is it going to be on the coffee table?" I realize this will sound like a plug for the seller (which it's not), but if you enjoy old Horological catalogs, this one contains a full line of jeweler products and watch material. And particularly interesting is that 1925 is at the front edge of electrical products. So, it still has many examples of the earlier hand tools not found in later resources. I currently own an excellent copy of Swartchild's 1935 catalog B232. But, it pales next to the 1925 Marshall catalog which looks more like the Family Bible; leather bound and about two inches thick with some color inserts. Again, I have absolutely nothing to do with the seller, but just want to share this treasure with others who enjoy flipping throught the Horological time warp.

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8900984104

I also have all twelve issues of "American Horologist" - 1945. What a thrill to read the articles and ads hoping for victory and then the joy of victory when the war concludes and finally conversion back to peace time production. These old books, catalogs, and journals provide a picture of our industry during the years past, and for me, a picture of the era as my Father began his watch repair training with the U.S.Navy during WWII.

enjoy - Bill

Posts: 30 | Location: Mountain Top, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2005
posted
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I just won (on eBay) a reprint of Hofman material catalog (never heard of them, anyone familiar with them). The original dates from the early 1900s.
Can you elaborate on your father's US Navy service during the war? I am very interested in military history, and I haven't come across too many military watchmakers! Was he a watchmaker before the war? What did he do in the Navy, what kind of repair work? Etc. Thanks, anxious to hear whatever you have to post,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
Picture of William Chappell
posted
Like many depression era kids, my father graduated from high school in 1936, but had no hope of higher education. His first job was with a manufacturer of railroad tank cars. Making excellent wages, he immediately bought a new car on credit. But by 1938, the economy took a dip and he was no longer able to make the car payments. After losing his car to the bank and not having an income, he joined the Navy in 1939 with the understanding he would enter Watch and Optics School if qualified. After basic training, he was assigned to Gunnery training and appealed the decision based on his enlistment schooling offer. Somewhere up the chain of command he reached a sympathetic ear and the testing was provided. Having very strong mechanical and dexterity skills, he qualified for watch school and received approximately 16 months of stateside training before Pearl Harbor. At that point he was assigned to a battleship and performed all repairs to the ships chronograph, clocks, watches and optics, including field glasses, eye glasses and gun sights. Two years were spent as a Navy watchmaker in Brisbane, Australia, a year in Iceland and then during his final six months before discharge in 1945, he managed the base watch repair shop at Newport News, VA. To his advantage, he returned home as an experienced watchmaker. He began his Jewelery Business in January 1946 and within a very short time developed a thriving watch repair trade along with jewelery sales. My father always spoke highly of the U.S. Navy because it offered him the training and experience to become an independent businessman and provide a good home for his family.

Even in retirement, he continued watch and clock repair to within the last three months of his life. He enjoyed the work, the client contacts, and the many friends developed through his trade. I observed the pleasure he enjoyed as a watchmaker, and at age 53 I left the corporate world and began repairing clocks and watches. I am now restoring about three clocks per week and have a three month backlog. As my father told me in the last months of his life.." when you get to life's end, you won't look back and wish you had spent more time at the office". He was absolutely correct.

Bill

Posts: 30 | Location: Mountain Top, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2005
posted
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I plan on gathering more info on military watchmakers/clockmakers so I can write an article. If you are interested in contributing some info at your convenience, can you please email me? Thanks again,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004