• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

about 7-8mm brass, steel rods... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I wonder where I should go to find a brass rod and a steel rod of 7 or 8 mm diameter ( say 5 or 6 cm long) for a lathe work? Any material house that you would recommend?
Many thanks for the input in advance!
Best Regards

Posts: 31 | Location: Panama City, Florida USA | Registered: November 18, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi,

Check out these guys MSC, just done a search for steel rod and all sizes came up no doubt same for Brass. I have used this company they have all kinds of stuff and excellent FAST delivery

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks, Chris!
I appreciated the info.
Best Regards,

posted
Would you use a 6mm collet or a 7mm collet for 5/18" rod?? or how about for a 3/18" rod...8mm collet?? (inches confuses me very much... I wish they could sell rods with a metric system...)
Many thanks,

posted
Go to your local welding supply company. They have brass rod and steel in both carbon and stainless.Most times you can buy just one 36 inch rod.It comes in various sizes up to 1/4 inch and maybe 5/16 in.
Hope this helps.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Hi Naoki,
A good source of steel rod in sizes between 5m/m and 12m/m, usually about 30 to 40 cms long is in redundant dot matrix and bubble jet printers. They are available very cheaply in these days of the so called "disposable" society.

Peter Cork
Newcastle
Australia

Posts: 12 | Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia | Registered: December 25, 2006