Reply to Post

What Is It? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Does anyone know what this tool is for?
Thanks,
Brian C.

Tool #1

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Would i be way out if i said studding table.
I am just guessing on that one.
I am sure someone else will know what this tool is for.

Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Kevin

How did you happen to come across this tool.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Frank this tool belongs to Brian C, i just posted what i thought it might be.

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
My money's on a colleting table;notice the openings for the gap-would love to have this baby! Big Grin

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I found this tool in my Bergeon tool catalog. It is titled: "Press for making guidemarks on balances"

Those recesses visible in the table have slots that apparantly allow a roller table and jewel to drop in, and I think they are adjustable in height. I think the "guidemarks" are the punch marks in the rim of the balance to show where the roller jewel and hairspring stud are set.

If you have ever had a chance to look through their complete catalog, they make an INCREDIBLE number of very specialized tools. Most of us just make do with something else for that once in 5 years need.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
I bow to the master! Big Grin Thanks for the info Jerry.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Jerry,
What does the book say for price of this tool?
Thanks,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Brian
Sorry about the credits on who posted the tool. My mind was on what it could be, more than on who posted it. Red Face

Kevin, you get credit for the next one posted. Smile

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Member 206
Picture of Wynter Sturtevant
posted
Good find Brian. It's really an odd ball tool.

Jerry, What Catalog are you looking in? I've got a May 1949 Bergeon catalog and it's not listed.

Posts: 96 | Location: Coulterville, California USA | Registered: February 08, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My set of catalogs do not have a printed date that I can find, although someone date-stamped one volume in 1975 and another in 1981. It is a black, soft-bound 3-volume set (vol. 1a, 1b and 2). The tool appears on p.7039 in v.1b It is item No.4663 My catalogs do not include price lists.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Frank, that's ok, I'm just glad I found out what the tool is used for.
Wynter and Jerry, thanks a bunch.
Brian C.

posted
Great find Brian C, and thanks for the information on it guys, at least i was in the ballpark.