Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Movements- Tins and Safe Mailing "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member
posted
I recently had reson to question how a movement only can be safely mailed.The problem was solved when the buyer mailed me a case,but in the mean-time I found an old tin that sure looks like it's used for a movement. The tin is roomy,and would need to be insulated or packed with something if used for mailing...it just doesn't seem practical or safe-especially compared to a case.
Maybe what I have isn't a movement tin after all - ? Here's a pic' or two-can anyone give me a little more info? Thanks!

Marty

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Marty,
Lee valley woodworker supply has what they are calling "boxed sets of watchmaker's cases. They are aluminum cases with a glass cover, sizes are 33mm,53mm. Prices are very reasonable.

Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member
posted
Ed-Thanks! What a great site,I never heard of it. And those cases are perfect-how could they not be;they were actually made for movements to begin with! Very reasonable,too. This is a good product for anyone that mails a movement,stores them,whatever.

Marty

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
The two part plastic McGinnis case works good. There are 16s and 18s cases.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member
posted
Very nice again! Are those as easy to come by?

Marty

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
The clear plastic cases, the McGinnis cases, used to be very easy to come by. Two brothers, Don and Ed McGinnis made them. They started making them in 1973 and traveled from show to show selling them by truckload. They also used to have a thriving business selling plastic/rubber caps and parts, mostly battery caps, for antique cars. Unfortunately the surviving brother, Don, retired two months ago. You might be able to find some at a show. Pick them up while you can! I've heard that up to 2 million of them were made. I hope someone buys the equipment and starts making them again.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Edward, can you post the e-mail address for the boxed sets of watchmakers cases, or e-mail it to me?
Thanks,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member
posted
Frank-I just got one of those from a seller on ebay;nice! But Ed's source is very good also-good price,too.

Marty