Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fahys Watch Case "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Found a 16size Hunter watch case, Fahys SN7249262 "WARRENTED TO WEAR PERMANENTLY" that has a Waltham "Travler" 7 jewel movement. I wonder what they meant by Warrented to wear Permanently? Thanks

Fahys

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne,

I have an Elgin case marked "Double Stock" which i believe it about equivilant to the "Permanent" marked cases. I was told it ment just that. Guaranteed to wear permanently. Meaning, if you wear it to brass they will replace it.

I bet you would be hard pressed to get one replaced now though. Big Grin

Wouldnt that be nice?

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Aaron's right on the money Wayne! All the Fahys cases were well made but the "Permanent" and later "Double-Stock" were heavy with gold and considered the best Gold-Filled cases made.

The practice of case warranties eventually came under governmental scrutiny and from 1923 on the cases will have names on them (like "Double-Stock") but no reference to specific wear periods were permitted. After that legislation took effect specific time guarantees on wear for watch cases were a thing of the past. Instead they once and for all had to state the gold content on any gold jewelry item and that included watch cases.

Bottom line, you have a very high quality case there.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have one of those Fahy's marked "permanent" It has lived up to its name. It did wear through to the brass... And the wear is now a permanent feature to the case Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002