Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a vintage lathe/tools "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello guys,
I stumbled across this forum via google and am quite happy I found it. I'm an avid watch collector and dealer from New Hampshire, currently located in Brazil.
Although I have better than average knowledge about watchmaking tools, it have very little knowledge about watch-MAKING tools such as these.
First of all I'd like to know what each one of these parts does if you guys can walk me through, I already have sort of a rough idea, but just wanted to get better acquainted with it. A lot of parts are signed bowley and some are un-signed, having only same style numbering, so I don't know exactly what's what.

Another question would be about value. Might this be something worth taking to the US on my next trip to sell in the conUS? What would be the best way to go about selling this, ebay?
Thanks for the help!
Fred Bonatto

Posts: 7 | Location: New Hampshire (USA) and Brazil | Registered: May 17, 2008
IHC Member
posted
Welcome,Fred-Those are some beautiful pic's you've posted! The guys around here will be glad to help,I'm sure. This site is known just for that-sharing info and answering questions.
If you're looking to learn,you've come to the right place. If you only want to sell,ebay is always an option. We have a members only auction;our dues are a minimal $12 a year-if you find a better deal please let me know!
Good luck with these-like I said I'm sure someone can help.

Marty

posted
Thanks for the reply Marty,
In all honesty, I´m really trying to figure out weather or not i keep this stuff and learn how to play with it (if its not too dificult) or if its worth enough, its worth the trouble of taking it to the US to sell. I hope to join as a full member later on today regardless.
Thanks!
Fred Bonatto+

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Fred

I am just starting out to try to learn how to use a lathe. I can't tell you what each of the parts are you show in your photos other than to say they are all attachments for a watchmakers lathe. I know there is a cross slide in the photos, and the collets in the box.

If you decide to sell would you post the information here when you do.

Thanks & good luck, you will enjoy being a member of this club.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Watchmaker
Picture of Gene Furry
posted
Hi Fred,

Welcome! Nice looking setup. I labeled your photo with the names of the major pieces. Note the Jacot Tool at the top. This is not part of the lathe setup. It is a stand alone tool used for explicitly for dealing with watch pivots. Also note the No. 2 headstock. This one mounts in a vice. The No. 1 headstock has a mounting base as an integral part.

The face plate should come out of Headstock No.2 unless it's rusted in the spindle. All the other pieces in the wooden box are accessories or attachments that generally fit into either the headstock or tailstock.

This assortment would certainly have a decent resale value in the States, but it would also make you a good starter setup.

Regards,
Gene

Posts: 54 | Location: Southeastern Texas in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Gene for identifying the parts!

Debbie

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Awesome diagram, thanks for clearing this stuff up. Do you have an idea, in numbers of what I could expect for something like this? I´d really like to have a little more certainty before I go hauling 30 pounds of tools in my bags! Smile Smile
Either that or I´ll keep it!
Thanks again guys!
Ps.
how doI go about becoming a full member:

Administrative Assistant
posted

Fred,

Here is a link...

Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Ok, i've paid my dues!

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
WOW,
That is a really nice lathe set up. I sold a similar BTM set up with the box to an instuctor at the Rolex Watch Technicum in Lititz. He paid $900 without the jacot or face plate and it was in rough condition. It comes down to the conditon of the cross slide and the other components. A friend of mine bought a Leinin with everything in like new condition for $3300 at a national a few years ago. A set like this new, made in Europe, and not as good of quality would cost at least $17000.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Administrative Assistant
posted

Thanks Fred!

Smile