Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I Want! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I had no idea how to post this so that's the reason for the Title.

I would like to know if there are any examples (In Wood or another product) of the parts of a watch that you can put together and take apart?

I have seen where they have had examples on ebay of watch parts that are in wood that are vintage, that you can assemble but were missing most of the parts, and I would like to know if they still exist?

Something big! It's not for learning to do it myself, I will leave that to those who already know watches, it's for me to better understand a watch, and how it works, and the pictures of parts to a watch just don't cut it somehow.

Can anyone help with this?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I'm with you there, Sheila. Schematics are fine, as I look at technical data all day long, but let me physically handle something and study it in close up detail, and I learn a WHOLE lot faster! I hope someone has an idea on this....Great idea! Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Sheila,why don't you attend one of your local chapter marts the next time they schedule one.You can buy uncased junko movements all day long for $5.00 to $10.00 apiece.That ought to give you plenty of watch material to play around with,and if you break something,no big deal.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
There are children's clocks that have large plastic gears that can be put together easily and taken apart. The clocks will run.

However, I think Bob is right. Get a junker movement and have fun.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Robert,
That is a fantastic suggestion, and I already have quite a few watches I COULD work on, but
I just can't bring myself to take one apart.
I wanted to wait until I know how they work, using something BIG, that I can play with, and understand first. I even thought of just making copies of pictures of the parts, and assemble them in the order they should go into, and then see if I can learn how to really assemble them.
Knowing me, I would end up with a dozen watches with mainsprings and other parts, all over the place with no idea what to do with them.

I have even been given a nice watch to work with, but I feel so lost when it comes to this.

You see, I do EVERYTHING, I have even installed my own plumbing! but I don't feel comfortable with my watches.

Since I have learned how to build a house, a fireplace, do the plumbing, electric, build a shed, install windows, doors, help overhaul a car, and just about anything else you can immagine, I am really ticked off that I have a block about this. I just HAVE to learn how to do this. (short of going to school)

Maybe I could just collect watch parts and start there. Lord knows I have a lot of them.

That's it!!

Anybody have a complete watch with all the parts, in pieces for sale?

How about a book that teaches how to put a watch together? In detail?

Thank you for your suggestion, it did make me think about this a lot more, and turned my brain from frustration, to digging up some solutions again.

Mark,
It can make you nuts when your a "hands on" kind of person huh? I had to go to the local college to learn how to make a brick fireplace and brick grill, because I just had to know how to make one. I'm a hands on person too.
It does take a brick in the head to get information into my head, but once it's there, it's there forever!

I will find a way through this!

Sheila

posted
Tom,
I have actually looked at them, but most of them are really limited. Just toys. I do have a Clock Puzzle that actually makes an authentic watch that works, but it is stored in my garage down on my property in a TON of storage things. Darn!
Good idea though, maybe Toys R Us would be a better place to look. Thank you.

Sheila

posted
OK this is what I'm going to do, I have settled for one of these clocks to put together, and although they are really only a puzzle, it will curb my "Freak Out" for a while.

THEY ARE REAL CLOCKS Eek Eek Wink Big Grin

So, which one? # 1 ?

Sheila

Puzzle Clock

posted
or # 2 ???

Sheila

puzzle clk2

posted
Shiela,

Go for #2, it is much prettier!

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Sheila,

There is a book called, THE PAPER CLOCK. The book works like this, you cut out the parts from the sketches on the thick paper pages of the book. Then, following the instructions, you fold the paper parts and put them together with wire from paper clips to make an actual working clock. It looks like it might be fun.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila, I have two editions of the paper clock. This is one that I syarted some time ago. I will try to get a picture of the book cover and what the finished clock would look like.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
another view. The clock really does run!

Tom

posted
GREG, TOM!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I would love the name of the book and maybe the front of the book?

WOW thank you, this would be great!

How about the name of the book first. I will start looking for it today.

OOPS just noticed the name above, can you post the picture of the front?

Sheila

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
Here is a picture of the cover of the book.ISBN number is: 0-06-091066-6. Published by Harper & Row.
These were first published in, I believe, France. The first copy of this clock that I got had directions in very poor English. Some of the mistranslations were amusing. Some were brought here by servicemen when they returned after WWII. I had mine done to the point that you see in the pictures above when I got a call from Mr. Rudloph. He was interested in republishing the book, with better directions. The model he had, however, did not run. Before he could submit it for publication he needed to have a running model.

He offered $500 if I could fix it. He had talked to several others who turned it down. By sheer coincidence, I was working on one and had a pretty good idea what I was getting into.

He lived in Ann Arbor, which was about a half hour from where I lived. I went to his house, picked up the clock and took it back to the shop. It took about 20 minutes to diagnose that the angle of the verge needed to be altered, make the correction and have it up and running. Easiest $500 I ever made.

Tom

posted
Hey Phil,
I agreed with you but passed on the puzzle clock because it would not show me anything about wheels and things. I did pick the one you picked though.

Tom,
Thank you so much. As soon as I saw the name of the book, I found it and purchased 2 of them. If I do the first one right, I will give the other one to my grandchildren so they can drive my son and daughter-in-law crazy. Eek Wink

Sheila