• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How Do I Find Out What My Tools Are Worth "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've looked everywhere and no answers yet. My stepfather was a watch repair man I have a nice work bench and a large assortment of tools..I want to sell everything but how does one get a fair honest price for all these tools...I will add a couple of photos of the many items he had. He worked in the late 30's till who knows...

Posts: 4 | Location: Burbank, California in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mike,

Welcome, to get honest prices for the tools depends on how much patience you have. You may have already been contacted by people wishing to buy you out completely which normally results in a quick sale and a fraction of the value.
You really need to take good photos and sell them off individually over time.
As you do not have a idea of the price I would suggest two options, auctioning them off either joining 185 ($12 per year) and use our auction site that has no fees at all, I know there are a number of people that are looking for tools and of course Ebay with all its problems and fees.

A second option would be for a few of the members here, (I would offer to help I expect I would not be a buyer of tools as I have a extensive workshop parts maybe) send them photographs and we will tell you what you have a rough estimate of each item then try a fixed price sale here first and if no luck, Ebay or wherever.

For instance your staking set shown a average set, would get about $50 if it was to sell What say the others?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks for the info, I was hoping for any reply which would make me join the group so I can sell the items... I am also interested in knowing what I'm selling...You said a staking set, what does a staking set do...Simple description please...Here's a couple of more items, lots lots more to sell...

Posts: 4 | Location: Burbank, California in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mike,

We may have fun here, the top you have two tools in the box, the vice like one is a poising tool if the jewel jaws are perfect free from chips etc about $25-$45+ in the box also is a desirable tool when in good condition a under cutter for the balance screws, $20-$50 (as the most useful size is often broken condition drives price if all the ends are in good condition I would be a buyer in the auction as a spare)
there is also something else underneath?
The other is a depthing tool a old tool very few people would ever use has novelty sale value mostly anyone seen one sell recently? I would expect around $30
The staking set is in of the main bench tools, it is basically a fancy punch set, can set staffs, tighten parts, larger set can set jewels as there are so many about and a good set lasts a lifetime people tend to buy the best set once typically a K&D 18 so the lesser sets do not get a high price, a new bergeon will cost about $1000

Other members please comment on values,

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Mike,
Welcome to our home. I know nothing about watchmaker tools but this would be the place for you to come. Knowledge and expertise preside here and the people here will be more than glad to help you out. Looking forward to you joining our little family here and rest assured you wll be taken in with open arms.

By the way, the top item in your last set of pictures looks like a poising tool. (I must have typing while Chris was posting, at least I was right).

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Welcome Mike and I agree this is a great place to sell those tools. Where are you from?

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
I'm out in Los Angeles....What about the work bench, Since it is pretty cool piece of furniture maybe I will keep it. I will take more pictures and join and put items up for sale...here's a couple more

IHC Life Member
posted
Watchmakers workbenches are very desireable. Especially the older ones and if in decent shape. You might want to group similar looking tools together to try and sort things out. Looks like you have quite a bit to go thru.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mike,

As soon as Lindel sorts out you membership you may want to post a few pictures of the bench in the auction section, in the meantime if you could work out a method to get a rough weight empty you could go to the Fed Ex site and get a estimate to ship in the USA.

Picture of Desmond Lundy
posted
Mike - I note Chris having assessed your roller table removal tool at $25. Will you accept this sum plus postage? This would save my periodically borrowing this tool from a friend. Desmond Lundy
<fermenthaus@shaw.ca>

Posts: 785 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 25, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, You have a considerable number of pocket and wrist watch tools parts and repair equipment that begs being grouped into related "lots".

I am in the San Diego area, and would be glad to help you if at all possible. If there is some reasonable way for us to get together, please let me know at; david@glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I might take you up on that I was in Poway yesterday....

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Mike,

I am not a watchmaker as many here at 185 are but if I can help you anyway please feel free to ask, since I'm pretty close to you here in Chino....sorta down the freeway from you as we speak here in So. Cal.... come to think, we're all just ' down the freeway' from each other here in So CAl.... Big Grin

Let me know ....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008