Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with SNYDER Bezel chuck "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1892
posted
Any body know how to adjust the jaws on thes chucks. I have one with one jaw lower than the others and I do not know how to adjust it Appreciate any help!
I do have pics but for some reason cannot upload them ?? after resizeing.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1892
posted
Pic.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1892
posted

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
have you try the one screw that holding the one part lower and see whats under?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
it removes the jaw but I have to get to the mechanism behind it which moves on a circular "thread" if you will. I see no way to do that. Somewhere out there is someone who has done this.Thank you Peter

IHC Member 1902
posted
On a modern 3 jaw chuck the position of the jaws is controlled by the screw in which they all locate. They are all numbered so that if you put one in the wrong position they will not be centred as they close.
Have you checked for numbers on the back of these six jaws? It maybe that one of them is out of sequence. I would assume that they have to go in the correct order one to six.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1851
posted
Could be someone has had it apart, Looks like the upper left is off a bit also, maybe those two scroll followers need to be swapped

I have a very similar one marked with snyders patent. The arbor should be a tapered press fit, knock it out the back using center front hole, there is a split threaded collar on the back which can be removed only after the arbor is out of the way.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1851
posted
Upon closer inpection of my chuck the arbor appears to be all the way through to the front, it is one full length piece with hole down the middle.

I don't know how it's attached or comes out

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1851
posted
The back of mine

IHC Member 1851
posted
This one has jaw numbers in the middle, that stepped ring inside of these is the end of arbor. The OD here is smaller than on the back, if it is tapered it is a long taper.

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi fellows Thanks Mike for the info re. the no's. You were correct.
Thanks Paul for the photos and your excellent description. Mine has a tapered arbour which come out with a single light punch. The plat is marked on the back 1-6 beside each slot. Each Jaw is marked 1-6 and each scroll traveller is marked 1-6 (simple stuff). I clean and oiled and reassembled it and it was the same so I switched the 5&6 jaws and it appeared to improve the situation ?? (i know it makes no sense since jaws are the same but travellers differ!! Ran out of time but will fiddle with it a bit to see what effect moving the travellers make. Wear may be a factor but does not seem to be sloppy. Couple pics. of when apart. Notice the machining on the plate to allow a case with hinge and pendant to be mounted. ( tried it and it workd.

IHC Member 1892
posted
another

IHC Member 1892
posted
one more

IHC Member 1851
posted
Thank you John, now I know for sure about that arbor.

Life Member
posted
A machinist friend of mine once told nme never to trust the numbers stamped on a scroll chuck, unless you have bought it new. IF someone replaced only one jaw from another parts chuck, the numbers may not fall in sequence. Lay the jaws out side by side on the table, with their follower threads facing up, and place a straight edge so that it falls in the outer groove of each one. Sighting down the inner groove should be a straight line (sort of). Any jaw that is out of order will be readily apparent.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015