Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HOT Rheostat In L&R Machine "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member
posted
My mechanical L&R machine is running well but I noticed the rheostat is getting very hot after only 2or3 minutes. I read somewhere these old rheostats can run red-hot for a long time;but I'm concerned with fire and the life of my machine.
Anybody know the cause or cure?

Marty

IHC Member
posted
From what I've been able to dig up,I've done all I can short of replacement. I've cleaned the copper up with ammonia and used emery to ensure good contact with the brush. So I''ll run her slower for now. I'll either buy a new control or find one in an old blender etc.

Marty

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Marty.

I have the foot control type, that to gets extremely hot, cannot use it with bare feet!, I always unplug when not in use, and have a good size extinguisher in the shop Roll Eyes
I was thinking about looking for a sewing machine pedal looking out for a industrial size one. I also fitted one to the buffer as much as a safety device so i can stop the machine if I lift off the pedal.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member
posted
Thanks Chris-I guess these old rheostats just get hot;they could've saved time and money by using it as the heating element as well!
As long as I know this is a common problem I'm satisfied.

Marty

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Marty,
I just thought of something. Are you running the heater when the watch is in the cleaning cycle? This would heat up the whole machine. I only turn the heater on when the watch is in the dry cycle.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member
posted
Good thinkin' Brian -but no,I'm not... these old rheostats have a bad habit of heating up! I'm searching for a cheap source-supply houses,old small appliances,etc. It's tough to meet the specifications we need-but there is some leeway and that is good news.

Marty