Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Star Watch Case Company "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm excited to say that I'm into the final details of Fritz's biography, with a hard cover publication due out in a few months. Without breaking into shameless commerce, here's a quick summary.

"Memoirs of a Watch Case Engraver, the Biography of Fritz Baumgartner (1866-1943)," was written in old German in 1942. Painstakingly translated in 2006 by great-grandson Brian Pittman, Fritz's story recounts his hardships and successes of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His story speaks to the Swiss immigrant experience and to a struggling watch case industry confronting the Industrial Revolution.

Upon immigrating to the United States in 1904, Fritz was one of 27 employees at the Star Watch Case Company, where he remained for over 25 years. When the factory moved from Elgin, Illinois to Ludington, Michigan, Fritz continued as a mainstay of the Engraving Department.

For watch and clock enthusiasts, this volume offers 1,093 of Fritz’s original case designs produced for the Star Watch Case Company. Dating from roughly 1915 to 1925, this unique collection offers watch collectors an intriguing possibility: do you own a Fritz? Also included are pantograph case designs and numerous photographs.

Cheers,

Brian P.

Posts: 22 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Congratulations!! Will you be providing information on how one can obtain a copy of your book when it comes out? Smile

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Yes, I'll make an announcement when I go to press. I found a neat little online publisher (Lulu.com) who prints and distributes short-run books on the cheap. It should run around $20 to $25 for the 160-200 page hardcover book, which will be available from Lulu, Amazon, and major retailers.

Posts: 22 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Guess I need to go ahead and get in line then.... Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I, too, would definitely like to buy a copy when it comes out. I am looking forward to it!

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
..Congratulations!...I too will join the queue...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003