Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden 15j question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've had access to an 18s Hampden hunter case pocketwatch, 15j, that has a Hampden Watch Co. dial, but is marked Dueber Watch Co. on the movement. Ok, no biggie there, but the serial number dates the movement to 1908. Now, as I understand it, Hampden pretty much dumped 15j production in the late 1890's for their 17j innovation, as well as moved more into 16s watches. I also know many companies held movements at the factory when sales were slow (I've read old advertisements were Hampden were offering lots of 15j movements to jobbers for almost pennies on the dollar after 1900!), but why would Hampden/Dueber release an 18s hunter 15j in 1908, almost 10 years after they worked on getting OUT of the 15j/18s end of the business? Oh, and the watch is housed in it's original gold filled Dueber hunter case! Worn, but still very serviceable.

I may be just stirring dust over nothing, but this seems odd to me, especially based on what I've read in the past about Hampden.

Thoughts?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Mark,
Though their production was basically geared to the 17j, especially the "railroad" market, after it`s introduction, they didn`t dump production of lesser jeweled watches entirely. Looks like they only offered 15j or less in 18s, in two grades at that point, though. I suppose they saw a market in the 15j Duebers and the 7j Champions for people who wanted a more affordable watch. In an old catalog reprint from 1917 they have listed a 15j Dueber model at $9.30, a 7j Champion at $7.20 and a No. 64, 17j, at $11.00. These prices were for the movement only.
In 16s they offered the 15j, grade 109 up until about the time they ceased production, I believe.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
The 12-size Nathan Hale is a 15-j watch, with one star in the 2005 book.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you! SmileRegard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark, Dueber was making 18 size 15 jewel until at least 1917 and the John Hancock 18 size 21 jewel untill 1918. And of course they were probably made years before that but assembled then. In fact some of their watches were finished in Russia after 1930. I have four examples of 16 size , on the wrist from Russia.

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well, I leaned my 'one thing' today then! Wink
Thank you, Mike. That still surprises me, considering what I've read in the past. This derails all THAT past information! Regards! Mark