• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden with something missing! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I saw this Hampden with NO serial number. The seller had a long explanation about it being "very rare" with no number and despite claims of "freshly serviced" was vague about his watchmaker saying either 11 or 15 jewels. What does the group think of their explaination?

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Yep, the "watchmaker" should be able to clear that up! Roll Eyes

I would normally expect to find a number between the barrel cover and the case screw you see at 2:00 on the image as well as it usually being on the underside of the barrel cover but most assuredly it will be under the dial. If the seller cannot check it for himself he should have the dial pulled to determine the correct number and dispell any doubts.

A few movements have shown up without the usual numbers, this is probably not one of those. My impression of this one is that was most likely put together out of the leftovers from several watches. I say that because the barrel cover damaskeening does not match the plate... and the Hampden name is so nice they said it twice!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes, mismatched plates from different watches would explain the duplicate signature.

I've seen this sort of thing on other watches too, like Hamilton 992B's marked "992B" in two different places when a movement signature Type 4 watch has had its train bridge switched with one from one of the other 3 signatures.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
I don't know early Hampdens but it is obivious that the font style differs in the two places--clearly the plate came from another watch.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That barrel cover is from a different movement I promise you. Smile

In this particular instance my impression is likely a Springfield, Massachusetts Hampden that had its movement number on the barrel cover but that cover was replaced with one from a Canton, Ohio Hampden which lacked a number. As I said above there should be a correct movement number under the dial on the pillar plate.

Sometimes with watches a little screwdriver can be a deadly weapon.

Now, interestingly the folks at Hampden were not alone in the practice of placing movement numbers on the barrel cover. Others did it as well. For example, this Elgin that Chris Abell recently sold in our IHC185 Items for Sale, but the big difference is Chris's watch has not been tampered with. Wink

An Elgin with movement number on the barrel cover...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
This is getting to be an interesting topic. In 18 size Walthams I've also noticed serial numbers on different plates. I did a little searching around the site and found some photos showing different locations.

Model 92 with the Serial Number on the Main Plate . . .

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted

And a Model 92 with Number on the Barrel Bridge . . .