Internet Horology Club 185
Help center wheel Hampden 18s

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/469104152/m/732106712

December 26, 2009, 15:43
Fabrizio Di Claudio
Help center wheel Hampden 18s
Hello!
I have a problem with Hampden 18s center wheel, pinion is not locked but rolling, the some of safety pinion of waltham when is unlocked.
I not understand how fix (lock) it, can some one help me?
Thank you!
Fabrizio

December 26, 2009, 16:40
Cecil McGee
The pinion shaft should be threaded,and the gear should turn until it seats at the bottom of the threads. It may not be catching the threads. Try pushing down on the gear as you turn it. The direction of the arrows in your photo should be the right direction to tighten it. Counter clockwise.
December 26, 2009, 19:07
Fabrizio Di Claudio
quote:
The pinion shaft should be threaded,and the gear should turn until it seats at the bottom of the threads. It may not be catching the threads. Try pushing down on the gear as you turn it. The direction of the arrows in your photo should be the right direction to tighten it. Counter clockwise.

Not work, i can't fix it Frown
Thank you
December 26, 2009, 19:34
Fabrizio Di Claudio
I fixed it ( i hope work and used correct mode ) i used staking tool and hammer on point 3. Smile

December 26, 2009, 20:14
Lindell V. Riddle

Good work Fabrizio!

And thanks a million to Cecil Smile for your assistance.

Lindell

Wink

December 31, 2009, 08:53
Fabrizio Di Claudio
Hello! I Restored it, now working strong Wink

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AMERICANS FRIENDS OF IHC FROM ITALY!
December 31, 2009, 10:35
Mike Sandell
Nice work on that Hampden.
December 31, 2009, 11:08
Roger J. Nolfe
Beautifully Done!!
December 31, 2009, 11:36
David Abbe
Fabrizio, That watch is a handsome watch indeed and you did a great job fixing the dial! Your posts are a pleasure to see! Happy New Year to you and ALL IHC185!

btw: I had a similar problem last week on a very rare Model 1 HC 16s Illinois main wheel and I sweat soldered the wheel to the staff hubs. That stabilized the staff to the wheel without interfering with the "safety pinion" action.

January 01, 2010, 10:03
Fabrizio Di Claudio
Hello David Abbe, in my pignon the whasher is present. After using the staking tool, the pinion turns in one direction and is locked in the other, works well.
I repaird the dial with WWW.SELVA.DE ceramic dust, first i cleaned it with "bath cleaner"

First

After cleaning

With ceramic dust (using alcool lamp )

Thanks!
January 01, 2010, 11:39
Peter Drago
Fabrizio, Compliments for a job well done and for the outstanding documentation.
Best wishes for a happy new year and many more pocket watch restorations!
Peter