Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s 21J John C. Dueber "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I was wondering if anyone has, or could post a picture of an 18S 21J John C. Dueber, open-face model 3.Having never actually seen one, I saw one on a seller's list and it was described as having RAISED gold jewel settings.All the other 18s Hampden RR grades that I know of had flush gold settings, other than the raised one on the barrel arbor jewel on the 23J models.I saw an ad reprint for one in one or Roy Ehrhardt's books,but you can't tell from the picture if the settings are raised or not.Thank you!...Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Ted, I have a 17j John C. Dueber but I would imagine they are common. I recently bought a collection that includes several Hampdens and had never really paid much attention. If you'd like I could post a photo.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I have been looking for a 21 jewel John C. Dueber, 18 size pocket watch for many years now, I keep fishing on eBay for one, but none have shown up.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Mike, of its not too much trouble, it would be nice to see a picture, Thanks!Larry, I don't think these JCD's are too common, but the one with Dueber's signature that I was talking about really look sharp, I've only seen them for sale only twice, and that was many years ago.Good luck in finding one!Best wishes, Ted.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is the dial

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The movement. Not the 21j like you are looking for, but, a nice watch.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Mike for posting it.That is a nice looking watch, looks like a gold regulator.I think that would possibly be railroad grade for the time it was made.That "special adjusted" marking shows up on several different Hampden grades, I haven't been able to find out what exactly that means, I think it would mean temp. and position.Thanks again, Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I saw a picture on another site, and the 21J version I was talking about definately does have raised gold jewel settings.Must be the only 18s Hampden that does.