Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Hampdens "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm a sidewinder fan. Here is one of my carry Hammy's. A 21j John Hancock, nickel.

Really it's my night stand watch and runs
24/7. The computer watch is a glass back
Hampden 17j from 1912.

Keith R...

Posts: 27 | Location: Raywick, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: December 06, 2015
posted
I have two Hampdens. One is a 6s 15J that was actually the first pocket watch I bought. It's in an ornate Philadelphia Hunter case and it runs very well.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
Movement

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
Case

posted
My second Hampden is a 21j 16s Wm. McKinley with a Montgomery dial in a gold filled case just labeled as Famous. It also runs very well.

posted
Mc Kinley movement

IHC Member 2030
posted
Donald
Absolutely beautiful
Are those Dueber cases?

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
No, I said the 6s is in a Philadelphia case and the McKinley is in a case just labelled as "Famous" I have no idea who made it.

Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Here is my 18s North American Railway 21J

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
posted
Here is a John Hancock , I am surprised to be the first one posting it !1230427 serial model 3

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
rough dial , I was informed that you see the canton Ohio marked dial on a lot of John Hancocks

posted
This was a sleeper , sold as a waltham , a P/L marked Toronto watch co

posted
the movement

IHC Member 1357
posted
Nice Kevin!

Roger

Posts: 4087 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
I have received a nice Hampden 12s pocket watch in a Dueber Special case. The movement says Dueber Grand on it and dates from 1899. An interesting thing, and what made me want it more, is that it is pin set. It has interesting hands and just the old Hampden logo on the dial. The inside of the case says Dueber with the anchor in the shield under it, and says Special under that. It winds , sets and runs nicely and I'm very pleased with it.

posted
The movement [1328849]

IHC Member 2030
posted
Donald So many attractive features, great photos, thanks.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Another Railway, iPad camera resized photo is not as clear as we would like.

IHC Member 2030
posted
And the machine room.

posted
Finally , I picked up a North American Railway 21j , this one had been eluding me for a while

posted
dial -not bad

posted
This is my only Hampden. From what I can find online, it is a Model 2, unadjusted, with 15 jewels, made in 1887. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Carl Mayer (1847-1916) was a German-born jeweler and watchmaker. In 1887 he had a store on Congress Ave. in Austin. The store was still on Congress, and still in his family, when I lived in Austin in the late 1960s.

Hampden PL

Posts: 129 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas in the USA | Registered: April 17, 2015
posted
A few of my favorites. I registered here because of the dedicated Hampden research forum, wanted to see if any Springfield collectors are around.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
posted
Theo Studley

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
posted
No. 71 Private Label for C.H. Knights & Co

IHC Member 1555
posted
quote:
This is my only Hampden. From what I can find online, it is a Model 2, unadjusted, with 15 jewels, made in 1887. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Carl Mayer (1847-1916) was a German-born jeweler and watchmaker. In 1887 he had a store on Congress Ave. in Austin. The store was still on Congress, and still in his family, when I lived in Austin in the late 1960s.

A nice looking watch John, a Grade 34 approximately 21,000 made of these in this one and only variant.

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Billa,

Respectfully I have to disagree with the grade.

This would be a No. 42
Nickel, model 2, unadjusted 15 jewels and patent regulator with a double sunk dial.

The No. 34 is model 2, Gilt, 15 jewel, unadjusted with a single sink dial.

There seems to be quite a few really great damaskeen patterns on this grade. Here's another that is a bit different from Hampdens norm.

Again I mean no disrespect, have just been studying and trying to identify all these grades.

posted
Dial

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Rick for the clarification.

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hello Rick and welcome,

Not many people collect Hampdens like they do the Hamiltons, Elgins, & Walthams so it is nice to see another Hampden collector. There are a few here on this sight. Nice MJ&Co. Goodman King. I have not seen this one before by MJ&Co. MJ&Co. used a variety of manufacturers but seemed to really like Hampden. I have the MJ&Co. Constant, Standard and RR Watch Co but I have not seen this one. Nice movement. Hampden and Illinois where the leaders in PL watches. I will not share any pictures as I have close to 70 18s Hampdens but thanks for sharing.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Thank you for the welcome!

M.J.&Co Is certainly interesting. Maybe a topic for a thread. The earlier Goodman King that I've seen is a long cock new York, with an aftermarket "13 jewels" on the barrel bridge. It's also listed in a catalog I have as 13 jewels. This one above must be an upgrade at a later date than the catalog! It's the only one I've seen in grade no. 42 so far, so I had to pick it up.

The only other movements I've seen with this marking are Aurora's.

80 full plate Hampdens?!?! I have a little ways to go!

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
No only about 70 full plate Hampdens. I have about 10 or 12 NYWCo movements. I just picked up another NYWCo. Chas E. Hayward that is a long cock #23,XXX. I also have several Aurora's. In the MJ&Co. movements I have several Hampden's, Aurora, Rockford, and several Hamilton's.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011