Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Hampdens "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Comments Forthcoming,,

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Comments Forthcoming,,,

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Comments Forthcoming,,,,

Deacon

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Deacon

I know you haven't posted your comments yet, but I saw the MF Robinson & thought I would let you know if you are interested;
1900 census Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts
Marcus F. Robinson white male birth July 1834 Massachusetts, listed as a jeweler
Mary A. Robinson spouse Dec 1848
Grace E. daughter Apr 1867
William AH son Dec 1869
Grace D daughter-in-law Sep 1871
William F. grandson July 1898

Marcus is the only one listed with an occupation.

Sorry to but in.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom, I am partial to the Robinson watch because as a child I lived in Springfield and the Hampden was made there. Oh yes, almost forgot, Springfield is located in Hampden County.

Deacon

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Deacon, That M.F. Robinson is exceptionally nice. It shows the "heyday" of the Springfield Hampdens. As for the Model 4 Jeweled motor, I discussed some of the technicalities of these in a earlier thing at;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...469104152/m/3401061713

In short, the Model 4 jeweled motor is to me something that some extraordinarily good watch designer got by the "design minefield" laid by Mr. Dueber in his fight to knock out competitive sounding movements to sell cases.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave, I looked at your earlier Hampden post and WOW! I think John Dueber was dead by the time the model 5 Railway came out. He was not a watch maker and he seems to have been a good case maker and a somewhat reserved and self made man. He certainly had some reason to be a hard competitor.

Deacon

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Deacon, you have a fine collection of Hampden's and I waiting with bated breath on your commentary for each....

Thanks for showing us the Hampdens....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice Hampdens, Deacon.That Robinson is a real gem.I have no "Springfield" watches yet.I live only an hour away from Springfield Mass., so I'm ashamed of myself for not having at least one.How did you end up out there, after being a kid in Mass?That 104 is a work of art!...Regards, Ted .

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Recent pick up--Hampden -18 size--The Dueber Watch Co.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Hampden-The Dueber Watch Co.--#720157--gilt mvm

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Hey~ I had a Hampden one time, [ on-line sale with bad pictures, guy called it a Hamilton] Mad
Then I found out that USSR bought out Hampden in the 30's, and as the Russians say, "Ne Kulturney", so I didn't want no more Eek
I post this to jab a good friend who is a big Hampden collector~ perhaps he will read it Roll Eyes
Hey some really nice looking watches guys, thanks for showing them! Hampden was a leader in the watch circles and brought many "firsts" to the trade that many manufacturers copied[which would be the height of flattery] Big Grin Big Grin
regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Recent pickup. Hampden Dueber-18 size-15 jewels-serial number-665941

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Dueber dial on 665941

posted
My Dueber Watch Co. and No. 310

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Michigan in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
1880-82 Model 1 from Springfield. When it comes to the 18s movements I'm partial to the early ones before Duber moved the show to Canton. This movement is an 11j key wind in a Keystone coin triple hinge case with a nice beveled glass crystal.

When it comes to the 16s I'm into the 1900's McKinelys 17-21j.

Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
A 1000 were made in this run year. Much more over the total grade run, so parts are around even though it's a key wind. This images doesn't allow all the blued screws to show, but against the gilt they look very nice.

Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
posted
Will have to post some pictures but I picked up another Hampden 16s 21j Wm McKinley from ebay. This one is the 3/4 plate finger version and from the Hampden serial number look up table only 7,550 were made of this version, 21j LS adj5p made in 1918. Not a bad find for just a tad over $100, hairline free DS gothic 5 min marker dial in a fancy Star nickel case.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Seldom seen 23j New Railway HUNTER 1895. 700 production, how many exist??

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Dial on 18sz serial # 1056425 New Railway Hunter

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Very nice! I just picked up a New Railway 23j in the more common open face configuration.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
My latest Hampden-fishscale pattern made for the W. J. Johnston Co. in Pittsburgh--sn-3129743--16 size

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Dial for Hampden fishscale movement made for the W.J. Johnston Co. in Pittsburgh

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Recent Hampden Private Label-The Compound
Gilt movement-15J-Grade 49--sn 783557

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
That Compound is a nice find. I almost bid on it myself. I'm glad someone here snagged it.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Thanks Chris. I wonder if anyone has any info on what the Compound stood for.
Tony

posted
Hello!

I am new to this forum and wanted to post one of my Hampden watches by way of an introduction.
I'm fascinated by all Hampden watches and love to find out more & more. I stumbled upon this forum by chance and look forward to learning and hopefully participating.

Alan (Garratt)

Posts: 3 | Location: 50 miles north of London in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 09, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I only have two Hampdens, a 12-size Paul Revere and the 6-size series I, shown below. The movement won't send your hearts racing, but the case is pretty nice.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
It is in a 14k 3-color gold case.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
With a nice pair of birds and a little diamond on one cover. (The case is unsigned as far as I can see.)

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
My most recent find. Hampden hunter 18 size railway-serial number 647045. Serviced by Chris Abell.

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
John C. Dueber Special--sn 964852-18s-Hunter

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's my first Hampden. 18s 15J Grade 36 Model 2 Woolworth

The case is almost perfect, no brassing, NAWCO 20 year. Shows a little discoloration on the bow. Last serviced June, 1931, but it does not run. The balance wheel is pegged to one side. Would that indicate the roller jewel is outside the pallet fork? Appears to be wound tight, but sets okay.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011