• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Inherited Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I inherited this Hampden pocket watch from my Father. It was in his family for years.
When I had a local jeweler clean and oil the watch, they gave me an appraisal that showed it had 15 jewels and had a value of $850.00 at the time, which was around 1990.

Posts: 4 | Location: Homerville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 04, 2021
posted
Another photo

Posts: 4 | Location: Homerville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 04, 2021
IHC Member 1650
posted
If I read the serial number correctly (543839), your watch is a size 6, 11j, grade 206, made about 1888. The dial and case are especially nice!

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Yes, the SN is 543839. Thank you for the information. I like the dial and case also.
When my Mom gave me the watch, she said Dad never had it serviced (it wasn't working), because he didn't trust anyone to do it, and was concerned someone would switch watches on him. Frown
In my OP, I said the Jeweler noted the watch had 15 jewels. Hmmm.

IHC Member 1650
posted
The Hampden info we have isn't 100% reliable. The only way to know for sure is to disassemble the watch. From my experience, most movements with screwed in jewels like your are 15 jewels. Most 11 jewel movements have pressed in jewels. So, the watchmaker may very well be correct.

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
quote:

Folks have varying opinions of this site, so for what it's worth, here's what IT says your watch is, and they, too, state it's an 11j.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...esult/hampden/543839

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Thank you to all for the information. Mr. Cross, I did find that info prior to joining this site.
I believe I will go with the data my Jeweler provided, and say it does have 15 jewels, though it doesn't matter either way, as the watch will stay in the family.