Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

John C. Dueber Special Serial No. 955376 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
John C. Dueber Special Serial No. 955376

I recently acquired my first Hampden watch at a local clock and watch business here in Tucson. It has opened a whole new area of interest for me on the Hampden Watch Co.

I especially found it interesting that the Hampden Watch Co. was the leader in the production of railroad grade watches in the last decade of the 19th Century, "leading the way" with their 17 jewel watches.

Here's a photo of the movement of my watch, it's an open face model of the watch with a Teske Patent Regulator.

Hampden Model 3, John C. Dueber Special

Posts: 26 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2019
posted
Here's another photograph of the watch face with its Roman Numerals and red five minute track markers.

John C. Dueber Special Watch Face

Posts: 26 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2019
posted
Finally, a period ad from the Railroad Conductor Journal of December, 1896. It indicates a number of watch inspectors for the New York Central & Hudson River Railway who have endorsed several of the Hampden 17 jewel watches for railroad service.

Note the promotion at top of the ad for the famous NYC&HRR locomotive engine number 999 which established a world land speed record of 112.5mph in 1893!

Hampden Watch ad, The Railway Conductor

posted
Nice one James

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thanks Kevin. I also recently acquired one additional Hampden watch, it's an 18 size 16 jewel, Type 2 Model No. 44. Not a railroad approved watch, which all of my other watches are, but still a nice watch.

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
A real beauty!

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011