WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Hampden Watch Company Research Forum    1878 Hampden Mdl 1 15j Adj w/ micro regulator + 4 hing silver case
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1878 Hampden Mdl 1 15j Adj w/ micro regulator + 4 hing silver case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
This watch came to me as a basket case with 3 broken pivots, one cracked jewel and a missing jewel.

Finding a parts movement was pretty easy.. Gary C. saved the day with a correct early model balance staff.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
I'm getting pretty good at repairing or replacing case lift springs. The rest of this was just a bit of TLC with foaming hand soap and metal polish. I use the cloth buffer for the crystal.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I really appreciate the rugged simplicity here.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Four stage bath... I do a final rinse in denatured alcohol so the parts dry faster for reassembly.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Rather than mess with the pressed in cracked third wheel jewel in the pillar plate. The parts watch came in with a micro regulator.

I negotiated with the owner to jump ship to the parts watch and use his core for parts to finish this superior movement.

The balance cock hole was stripped. So it had to be resized and tapped out to the next larger size.

To poise the balance, I added one small timing washer to the top of the Ferris Wheel and she came right in.

On the timer, she came in 60 beats slow. This model has no timing screws, but it does have a pinned/flat hair spring.

To speed her up, I unpinned and shortened the hair spring. (first time experience) But it seemed to be the preferred method over shaving the balance weights.

After a few attempts, I got her to come in at a rock solid 9ms beat error and locked on 18,000bph with a variation of only a couple beats in any position.

The regulator is not dead center, but I really didn't want to tempt fate with these numbers.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Great fun. +3seconds in 16hours, mixed carry/display. happy camper.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice job Paul, looks good!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks Dave,

This one was well worth saving. There is something about this early railroad era that fascinates me.

The case on this watch is a monster... it's well worn but in fantastic mechanical condition.

I did well more than the quote supported, but it was a treat to be able to get this one back to a guy that really appreciated it.

posted
Look for my post

used watches and clocks for sale on Dec. 6th

and see if you are interested. Bob Rehberg

Posts: 54 | Location: Danville, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 31, 2014