Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An exciting eBay Model 1 "Rescue" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Out of Curiosity, I looked at an eBay listing titled;
"14K Gold Plated B. Forchheimer & Co.Antique Pocketwatch" and saw to my great surprrise that it was a BEAUTIFUL MODEL 1 17J 16s RR Grade 2-tone Dome Movment DOUBLE SIGNED PRIVATE LABEL Hampden and a SUPER-Clean Deuber CASE!

(The RR Grade is certified on these movements with the D in Flag stamped on the Movement plate)

I won it, I guess not too many collectors were intersted in a "Forchheimer"

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Researching the 1091502 Serial number, this "hit" between a s/n 1091321 23J Model 105 Eek, and s/n 1091598 17J RR Gr. model 108.

That leads me to believe that it is a 108 RR Gr. special private label.

HOW Many two tones did Deuber Hampden ever make in this short run of dome models????!

Much more after it gets here . . . .

You can check out the listing at;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Dave,

Great looking watch. Looks like it's a No. 107 with the D-star in the flag. Found a 1899/1900 ad in the Hamden book showing the No. 107 could be special ordered two-tone but the private label was special order anyway. So what are we looking at a run of 25-50 and out of that how many with this private label? It makes me wonder what the minimum order for a private label was at the time.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice watch, Dave!Those raised plate models look pretty nice, I've always wondered why they didn't keep using the whiplash regulator.Hampden must have made an awful lot of private labels, new names keep turning up.But I guess that's true of the other companies too, especially Illinois.Thanks for showing it! Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
There was a B. Forchheimer in business in Cleveland Ohio as a tailor & also listed as a Gents Furnisher at 434 Superior Ave. in "The Railroad Trainmen" 1909.

He was born Nov. 1861 in Germany & in the 1900 census is in Cleveland.

In 1880 he is show as Baro (Baruch) Forchheimer & a Max Forchheimer who is about 10 years old than him lived together in Cleveland & both are listed as clothing salesmen.

Appears he died June 22, 1949 in Cleveland

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007