• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 223 Dial & Movement Questions! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
So here's the deal. I just purchased a rather warn out "The Studebaker" grade 223. It definitely has a few problems although still charming. I'd love to see it restored to its former glory. I'm just hoping that I didn't buy a lemon!

I also know that it's not a good idea to go swapping parts willy-nilly as it were. So I thought I'd bring my questions to the wonderfully knowledgeable people in these forums:

First, I'm thinking about trying to find a replacement dial since as you can see the one I have has some damage.

Is the dial shown below the only correct dial for this model or could I potentially replace the dial with a different SB dial without damaging the integrity of the watch?

Second, this is more a two part question, for the technically minded. Given that there is some slight/rust corrosion on the movement [597743] my plan was to have it immediately serviced.

Is this the best course of action? If so would anyone have recommendations for good repair/servicer out there? I live in Portland Oregon but I'm okay with sending my watch out if that means I work with someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Posts: 82 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 25, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Adonya,That is a nice Studebaker!Well worth restoring.I'm not a South Bend expert, but that dial looks a little unusual to me.The 1-12 mumerals are different and a lot lighter than most South Bend Montgomery dials, but it has the fancy script South Bend signature usually on The Studebakers.If you look at the"6" in the seconds bit, it is different than the rest, and a match for their usual Montgomery dials.That is an original dial, and could be repaired.A nice original like that one would be awful hard to find.The winding wheels and whatever screws that are corroded could probably be found, even if the winding wheels were switched from another 16s S.B. grade, it would look much better, I don't know how well they'd clean up, the original finish may be lost.Lindell has a thread on here on dial repair using Spackle,he did some nice looking repairs with it,if you search here for that, you'll see the pictures.Is that a South Bend case it's in?I know there are several guys that are members here that do watch repairing, speaking from my own experience, Rob Carter in Kingsport, TN does excellent work and is great guy to work with.Good luck with it! ....Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Hi Ted,

Thank you for your thoughtful words of encouragement. I spoke to Lindell about this watch and he has graciously offered to help me with it! (He's really the best!) Big Grin

I'll be sure to post some pictures once "we" get things looking good.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Any new pictures on how its turned out?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Not yet, Lindell is still working on it. Hopefully soon! Big Grin

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Adonya - there's going to be some difference in the way the dial looks between the 3 and the 4. It's always where the dial foot is... but Lin is very good (partly because he is so patient) and a known perfectionist.

TED - Old response here, but the dial is normal. This Monty dial came in two variations (at least) that were identical except for the heaviness of the font. They were distinguished in the catalog as "Heavy" and "Medium" in the early days. After 1912 the company would, for example, list the dial with heavier (thicker) numbers as part "267", the dial with lighter (thinner) numbers would be part "167". Other examples from the 1917 catalog are 4117/3117, 169/269.

Not all of the numbers seem to make sense, as in, some designations seem arbitrary, but I suppose you have to start somewhere and there is a definite pattern. In some examples two designations 238/338 might refer to the OF and HC dials (for the aught sizes).

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Frank,

Yes, I couldn't agree more, Lin is quite the perfectionist.

Lin was generous enough to take them off my hands. I hope he will post us some photos when he has completed the repairs!
Big Grin