Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Studebaker Movement Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Would a 1924 Studebaker 12s mail order movement be compatible with a 1919 429 'Panama' 12s case? If so would the 429 Pendant Set also fit into the Studebaker?

Thanks, Greg

Posts: 44 | Location: Hope, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: November 18, 2012
posted
Greg-

Yes, they would be interchangeable. You would have to keep the stems with each case though as the 12s south bends are all detent stems, meaning they slide into the movement and are held in place by a screw on the movement. note that 12s South Bend cases will only fit South Bends though as they are a little larger than a standard 12s american movement.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Thanks Jared. The Studebaker movement is on ebay and it has no case, and no stem is shown in the photo of it. You're saying that the movement would fit in the 429 case but I would have to have a Studebaker stem because the Studebaker movement does not have a screw that would hold the 429 stem in place? Greg

Posts: 44 | Location: Hope, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: November 18, 2012
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
I'm new at this and am not sure if I'm using the proper terminology in my question and if I understand exactly what you mean. Basically I want to know if the movement on the left as you see it would fit in the case on the right and be able to use the stem/crown/pendant you see on the 429 case? Greg

IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Yes, you will be able to switch those two movements and have the Studebaker fit into that case. Be carefully when unscrewing the detent screw not to unscrew it completely.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Thanks Keith, That's great. I've already bought the 429 (for $90 I figured I couldn't lose) but wanted to wait until I was sure about compatibility before forking out the $200 (with shipping to Canada) they want for the Studebaker. I'm sure that's probably too much but I really like the gold 'tapestry' pattern on the dial. Is it possible to clean the dial up a bit or is that the way it'll stay? Greg

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Welcome to the site and thank You for Joining it will be the best $1.00 a month that you have ever spent. I did a search on Dial cleaning and there where 434 post. Most likely you question asked will also be on there.

Here is the link. DIAL CLEANING

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
That metal dial is a hard one to clean. The best thing is to just wash it with soapy warm water. Pat it dry and with a soft cloth. Do not keep it wet for to long, otherwise you may clean off the painted Studebaker label. The dial looks fine as is IMO.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Thanks Eugene & Keith, Yes I did read about a wash with soapy water but I agree that it really doesn't look bad enough to risk rubbing off the Studebaker label. I also read somewhere that a gentle wipe with thin oil will sharpen up a dial. Have you heard of doing this?