• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newest acquisition - 12 size 431 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My first South Bend and I'm more than a little impressed. Beautiful bridge movement, nice geneva stripes decoration, gold jewel settings, nice flat click.

Nice early first run watch. One question. What is the polished white metal used for setting the cap jewels? Is it white gold? Polished steel?

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Michael can you show us a photos so we can see this little beauty of your please. The South Bend seem to have style about them that some of the other makers didnt have.....Francis

Posts: 375 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Mike,

I always felt those were white gold settings. Everything on the 431 was first class, they spared no expense because the 12-size South-Bend Grade 431 was arguably their very best watch. Get this, at the time they were introduced the price was $100.00 in a Solid-Gold case. That is remarkable because previously the South-Bend Polaris which is a 16-size in what was of course a heavier case carried a $75.00 list price. And although I may be a bit partial my sentiments dove-tail with those of Francis, the South-Bend movements had a... "style about them" ...which is evident in everything they made.

One of my favorite stories about the Studebaker family involves the sign they had placed above the entry door on the inside so everyone working there had to see it as a constant reminder... "Always Give More Than You Promise" ...was what it said, good words for us all to remember in everything we do.

Please do share the movement number and images of your 431 here in this topic.

Congratulations on a great acquisition,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That sounds logical Lin, the 431 is first class all the way for sure. I consider my 431 to be the best South Bend in my collection.

Congrats on your acquisition Mike! Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
My only South Bend is a 431 in a two-tone solid 14k South Bend open face case, photo below.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Ethan that is BEAUTIFUL, thanks for showing us.

Posts: 375 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

When SERIOUS collectors like Ed and Ethan consider the 12-size 431 to be their best representative South-Bend watch, that really means something increasingly important to the perception of these great watches

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Sorry, for not sharing a picture but the watch is at the watchmaker being put in good condition. When it comes back I'll be glad to share.

posted
Finally got my "new" South Bend 431 back from the watchmaker.

posted
Here is the movement of the SB grade 431

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Awesome 431!! Big Grin

One of the hardest South Bend watches to find.

Congrats!

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good stuff Michael! That's a really stunning 431.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004