Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Purple Ribbon South Bend Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I had always thought that the Purple Ribbon South Bend watch was available only in a size 12 watch because that was the only size that the factory consistently shipped as a complete watch (movement and case). In doing research I found an ad that stated that every south Bend watch shipped from the factory had a silk purple ribbon around it.

I felt that this was misleading because most other sizes, other than the size 12, were shipped in special tins and putting a ribbon around them was not feasible.

Then I found another ad in one of the South Bend catalogs that stated the purple ribbon watch was only available in size 12 and 16.

Does anyone have documentation that a Purple Ribbon Watch was shipped from the factory in a size other than size 12?

Here is a size 12 watch in a velvet lined box.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
Ernie-

Actually yes, one of our members recently sold a 219 in a box with the purple ribbon. so yes, the 16s were also found witht he ribbon.

Link to auction

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the ad from the 1917 South Bend Catalog stating that around every complete South Bend watch when it leaves the factory is placed "a silken band of purple" .

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the ad from the 1919 LW Sweet Catalog stating that the Purple Ribbon watch came in either size 12 or 16.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thanks Jared, I appreciate it.

I am under the impression that only complete watches left the factory with the ribbon. do you think that is a safe assumption?

posted
Ernie-

by 1917 almost all watches were 16 or 12 size as the only 18s made by South-Bend at that point looks to be the 315 model, which from what i can tell were mostly made for the government. I would say that is correct by that point too and that was one of their slogans "the watch with the purple ribbon" for marketing.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009