WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  South-Bend Watch Company Research Forum    NAWCC CHAPTER 10 - SUNDAY APRIL 1ST MEETING - PROGRAM WILL BE "SOUTH-BEND WATCHES" -
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

NAWCC CHAPTER 10 - SUNDAY APRIL 1ST MEETING - PROGRAM WILL BE "SOUTH-BEND WATCHES" - "Click" to Login or Register 
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

NAWCC CHAPTER 10 - SUNDAY APRIL 1ST MEETING...

NAWCC Members within driving distance of Fairlawn / Akron, Ohio

8:00 am on April 1st 2007

Holiday Inn at Fairlawn, Ohio

Fairlawn is north of Akron and near the major freeways...

"Click" these words for a MAPQUEST MAP to the Chapter 10 Meeting!

PROGRAM: "THE STORY OF SOUTH-BEND WATCHES" By Lindell V. Riddle

Lindell will show Columbus watches, the earliest South-Bends which were finished in Columbus, Ohio and some representative South-Bend examples and advertising tracing the history of this interesting but little known company and its fine products. Bring along a South-Bend watch to share!

MART ADMISSION ONLY $7.00 AND THIS INCLUDES A FREE TABLE!

The BUY AND SELL MART begins at 8:30 and continues until Noon

Complimentary coffee, tea and munching goodies for everyone.

Silent Auction and 50/50 Raffle at every Chapter 10 Meeting.

NEW CHAPTER 10 GUEST POLICY...

IN AN EFFORT TO INCREASE ATTENDANCE, ATTRACT NEW MEMBERS, AND CREATE MORE ACTIVITY-ANY CHAPTER MEMBER MAY BRING A GUEST. THE GUEST IS PERMITTED TO ATTEND THE MART FREE-TWICE. THE CHAPTER MEMBER MAY HELP THEIR GUEST PURCHASE ITEMS DURING MART. GUEST MAY ATTEND MART, MEETING AND PROGRAM.

Always plenty to do and lots of variety at Chapter 10 Meetings!

Wink

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

As always, plenty of space and great lighting...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Good attendance, all kinds of items available...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Dick Hanewald's selection of pocket watches...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

And there were many others to choose from...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Ed Fletcher had this nice lathe set up for sale...

Administrative Assistant
posted

Lindell put together a display of South-Bend advertising, news articles, lterature and other information from our South-Bend Research Forum to trace history from the founding of the Columbus Watch Company by Dietrich Gruen through South-Bend establishment, growth and eventual decline. He shared a number of Columbus and South-Bend watches from his collection, related histories of other companies and followed developments all the way to when South-Bend closed their factory for Thanksgiving in 1929 never to reopen due to effects of the "Black Friday" stock market crash and ensuing world-wide economic upheaval.

Interesting display that helped illustrate Lindell's talk...

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

You can see Lindell really enjoys sharing information...

Administrative Assistant
posted

There were Columbus and South-Bend watches shown...

Administrative Assistant
posted

South-Bend evolution and some Studebaker watches...

Administrative Assistant
posted

Several members enjoyed getting additional details...

Administrative Assistant
posted

Hope you enjoyed looking at the Chapter 10 meeting. If you are within driving distance of Fairlawn, Ohio download the MapQuest map from my first post above and attend future meetings!

Contact Mark Fulmer at 330-877-2021 or eMail markusfu@hotmail.com for details.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Debbie,

Alot of Great Pictures, I wish I was there.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures.

Thank You

Rich

Posts: 190 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: June 27, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Dr. Debbie, I really would like to know....of all the fine watches that Lindell owns and knocks our eyes out with in his photos....does he have one favorite that he actually likes to carry for his own personal pleasure?

I know he loves them all....but there MUST be one that is his pride and joy! I'd be curious in knowing what our Fearless Leader finds to be the satisfying watch to own and use in his personal collection....if just to be nosey. Wink

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
My bet would be his South Bend "Polaris"

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Thank you, Lin and Debbie for taking the time to post these wonderful pictures for us that could not be there.

Now, I just wish that Lindell would get a nice watch for his collection. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Agreed, Phillip! You'd think he'd have nicer stuff in his collection after all these years! Roll Eyes Big Grin Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Lindell is also pictured with members of Ch.10 on page 246 in the most recent issue of the Bulletin.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks everyone,

Mark asked an interesting question, as you might imagine a South-Bend "The Studebaker" or one of the Ball Brotherhoods are among my favorites, but on special occasions I do like to carry a "South-Bend Polaris" as Joe Collins speculated. Showing-off the watches we like best is a real pleasure. Cool

I was very pleased to have more than a score of Chapter 10 members attending my South-Bend talk. There were many questions from the group and it shows there is a lot of interest in learning more about even the lesser known companies. It was a lot of fun sharing part of my collection. Smile

Wink

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you for sharing, Lindell. I was betting it was either a South-Bend or a Ball. Glad to see it was both! Smile

HIGH regards! Mark

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Ditto, thanks for sharing. When you have the time, I'm sure we'd like to see some images of the ones you like to carry. Smile The carry watches seem to bring a speacial pleasure because we can use them as they were intended to be used. Just my humble opinion.

The South Bend watches are very interesting to me, especially since joining Chapter 185. Before I joined I didn't know much about them at all, but the wealth of information already collected here has opened my eyes to their charms. The Polaris is a real dreamboat WOW watch, for sure. Big Grin

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
When we can't be there this is the next best thing. When is the next meeting? I would like to attend.

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Lindell and Debbie:
Thank you for sharing. Lenore and I could not make the meeting. I wish I could have been there. I would have loved the program. I'm glad to have seen it on Chapter 185!
Cheers!
Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005