Internet Horology Club 185
South Bend Chesterfield Question

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/364101939/m/3583933567

August 27, 2011, 15:28
DuWayne Potter
South Bend Chesterfield Question
I'm a new guy looking for info on a watch my Grandfather gave me years ago. It says Warranted Permanently and Pyramid inside the case.
It runs well and keeps good time. I only carry it on special occasions as opposed to everyday like I used to 30 years ago...
I can only attach one picture so here is the face. How do I attach more than one picture or is one at a time the limit? I'd appreciate any information anyone can share.
The number inside is 19183203. I looked at the chart listed and the number is well above anything on there. Is 1918 the year it was made?

August 27, 2011, 15:57
Buster Beck
What you are showing, appears to be a 12sz gentlemen's type watch in a "gold filled" case. I am assuming that you got the name "Chesterfield" off the inside caseback. These were all 12sz case/dial combinations from South Bend that generally will only fit the South Bend line movements. Possibly the number you have is from the case itself. Watches are ID'd from the serial number that would be on the motor or movement.

They were nice carry watches and came in 15 to 21 Jeweled configurations.

The South Bend Watch Co. opened their doors in 1903 and the Great Depression shut them down in 1929.

On your reply, you could post the movement picture which would help in ID'ing further. This watch, being part of your heritage, will always outweigh any intrinsic values assessed.

regards,
bb
August 27, 2011, 18:57
DuWayne Potter
here ya go. I dont see any numbers on it

August 27, 2011, 19:38
Peter Kaszubski
You got S/N in the gap between 4 Position and South Bend markings.
Very nice pocket watch.
August 27, 2011, 19:41
David Abbe
There is a serial number ending in "9" on the bottom plate in the space between the top plate marked "Adjusted 4 Positions" and the lower plate marked "South Bend Watch Co. USA"
August 27, 2011, 19:43
Buster Beck
My B&W shot of your mvmt with the "little white arrow" will show where the serial number is located down a different level on the other plate.

Yours is the 19Jewel Grade 429. A good little watch.

regards,
bb

August 29, 2011, 14:36
Jerry King
DuWayne, here is a photo of mine that will show you very clearly where the serial number is....look for #912066 at the red arrow.

Regards,

Jerry

August 30, 2011, 11:50
DuWayne Potter
here's a shot of the back.

August 30, 2011, 12:00
Mark Cross
For anyone who's missed it, Buster has a pretty little version with chain for sale in the classified section:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6095371/m/2633943567

I have one that, though fairly worn, is a really fine time keeper too.

Regards! Mark
August 30, 2011, 14:03
Jim Bielefeldt
I have a question.
Above Buster said, "These were all 12sz case/dial combinations from South Bend that generally will only fit the South Bend line movements."

Since I dont know a lot about South Bend, but would like to have one eventualy, is this common with them? Do the movements need a non standard size case?
August 30, 2011, 15:09
Lindell V. Riddle

Welcome DuWayne!

I agree, the number DuWayne provided must be be from the case, not the movement, check Jerry's image then run the correct number in our exclusive "OnLine Lookup" included with a lot of other information as part of our South-Bend Catalogs, Literature & Pictorials provided free to the world in the South-Bend Watch Company Research Forum where you will also find A HISTORY OF SOUTH-BEND WATCHES which I do hope you find helpful.

In response to Jim's question, all of the South-Bend twelve-size movements are slightly oversized as to diameter which allowed a slimmer movement, they will fit only the cases specifically made for them, some cases will have "South-Bend" markings, some will not. This was true of Hamilton and certain Illinois movements as well. The watch companies learned they could maximize profits and also deliver a more reliable running watch by selling a factory cased and timed watch, having oddly sized movements allowed this to become the norm.

Please check out our South-Bend Watch Company Research Forum and we invite anyone who has not yet joined IHC185 to support this venture with your dues, participation and generosity here...

Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Lindell

Wink

August 30, 2011, 18:01
Jim Bielefeldt
Thanks Lindell, I was thinking of buying a South Bend 12-size movement a few weeks back. Good thing I didnt.