Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 223 Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
In the Complete Price Guide to watches by Gilbert, Engle, and Shugart, no28, 2008 issue on page 373 they list a SB Grade 223 watch with a value of ABP=$75.00, EX-Fine=$150 Mint=$200. On Page 372 they List The Studebaker 223 with much higher values.

Did South Bend make two different Grade 223 watches?

Does anyone have a SB Grade 223 that is not signed, 'The Studebaker'?

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ernie,

I can assure you nobody has a 223 without "The Studebaker" markings.

That listing at the top of page 373 is a duplication from prior years and is on the list of items slated to be removed. Listings for "The Studebaker" under 16-size on page 272 are current and the one on 375 should be disregarded.

For the record, there was only one Grade 223 as "The Studebaker" in 16-size came only in the 17-Jewel Grade 223 and the 21-Jewel Grade 229 with total production of approximately 6,000 for each of the grades.

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy, draw a line through it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Thank you Lindell, I thought that was the case but I wasn't sure.

I just picked up first SB 223. It needs some work but all the numbers match. The case was junk but I have purchased a replacement. I am currently soaking the dial as it had some marks under the second dial and a couple of fine hairlines. The movement is also very dirty.

When I get it finished I will post a photo.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a scan of the 223 movement. All that was wrong with it was that the Pallet lever was installed wrong. We installed it correctly and it is keeping perfect time.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the scan of the dial:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Ernie,

Nice 223. I picked mine up back in August, but it wasn't running. My watchmaker here in Canada serviced it, but it has rust on the hairspring so it is not keeping good time. Any ideas on where I can get a replace hairspring?

BTW: you might want to increase the resolution of your pictures - they show the pixels and are not as clear as they could be. We want to see the details!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a photo of the swing-out case.