• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Grade 291 Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently acquired a South Bend 16s, serial 384521. The online serial look up for South Bend watches lists this as a circa 1903 watch manufactured in the first run of grade 291 movements. I've looked for info on this grade but I cannot find too much. Can anyone here give me a little more info?

I will post pics as soon as I can find my camera.

Thanks
Tony

Posts: 3 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2010
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Nice find. The watch is an grade 291, 17 jewel, model 1, from the first run of 16s watches that South Bend produced. There were only 400 in this run starting with 384,501-384,900 so yours is the 20th one made.

Regards
Keith

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Anthony

I would like to see pictures of the run to know what pattern was put on the watch. South Bend was well known for using different patterns on their first runs and I would like to know if that is true on the 291's also.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Jared:

Here is a photo. It is from my Blackberry so please excuse the quality.

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Tony,
The South Bend has a new home in Georgia. I wanted the watch to add to my collection due to its early serial number. This 291 is now the earliest serial number in my collection of South Bends. Thanks,
Tony D

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Tony:

I recognized your name from this board when you bought it. I'm glad a guy that's into SB can now enjoy it.

Tony

posted
I'd like to get a first run one at some point, but there's some others i'm more interested in right now. A good watch to have purchased though!

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009