Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rarely seen South Bend 150... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
The South Bend 150 is a 0s hunting movement. Made for one run of 1000 and a small ten watch run that was probably proto-type testing. This was South Bend's third model of 0s movements and is called the "Model Three 150". There was also a sister open-face movement, the 151, made in similar quantities.

Personally, although an avid South Bend collector, I don't care much for the 0s watches. The Model One and Two 0s movements are mostly the typical seven jewel and fifteen jewel types with brass escape wheels. South Bend did not get into the 0s market until it was just about done with and the watches seem like an after thought. Typically they do come in nice 25yr, permanent or solid gold cases and have fancy dials. They were made and marketed for women.

The 150 and the 151 have a bridge design that is a mirror image of the Chesterfield series. The keyless works have been redesigned and the design seems very good. Gold jewel settings, steel escape wheel, lock-out screw, micro-meter regulator, nice damaskeening throughout and gilt lettering set this watch apart from the typical ladies movement. The watch is somewhat of an anomaly but that could certainly explain why there where only one thousand made.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The South-Bend 150 is a very hard to find item.

Great restoration Frank as always! Yours is the first 150 movement I can recall having seen. All three hands look correct and it appears to be a fine example. Below, the Open-Face version number 770225 is an essentially similar watch known as the 151 but in some ways it is an opposite layout. Both are 17-Jewel, three-finger-bridge, Double-Roller movements. You'll note the dial is identical, that too is unusual to find.

Grade 151 is the corresponding Open-Face version...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Frank, did you drop your watch in that first picture. Just joking around. Big Grin
A beautiful watch and as usual, gorgeous pictures.
Thank you for letting us have a peek. Phil. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Frank and Lindell,
Those South Bend dials are neat. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of Jeffrey Tibbs
posted
Nice pics Frank. This is the first barrel / cover I have seen with "pearlage" . Any other South Bends with that feature?

Best

Jeff

Posts: 166 | Location: Dublin, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Yes, other SB's have pearlage on the barrel. All of the early Chesterfields have it, and the 150 was made right around the time that the Chesterfields came out. I do not recall any pearlage on any of the 16s or 18s watches. The top of the barrel is slightly visible on the assembled movement on the 12s and is not on the larger movements. I would guess that had alot to do with whether to decorate or not.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Nice watches

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
I would like to add I just picked up my first 150 South Bend. It is housed in a 25 year SB case and has a color dial. Looks to be a nice example overall and came to me running fine. I'm not going to bother cleaning it or anything at this time.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Dial Side

posted
Case Outside