• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Making your own parts "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering how many in of those here who are in involved in repair manufacture their replacement parts? I have a goal to make my own parts as much as is feasible. I am honing my skills in staff making, and jewel settings, stems and screws. But I have not ventured into the realm of flat spring steel parts, such as clicks, etc. Wheel making takes some pretty specialized lathe equipment, so I may never get there.

So, who makes what in their shops?
Thanks,
Joel

Posts: 21 | Location: Chico, California in the USA | Registered: July 11, 2007
posted
Joel, I make nothing. I can make adjustments and my experience is paying off. Finding the old parts can be a challange and expensive. I'd like to hear from you on making staffs.

What material do you start out with?
What kind of lathe?
What kind of stones or polishing equipment?

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Good Afternoon Bob,
I started with brass (for practice), and have moved to steel rod, not hardened. Cutting the shoulders for the balance and roller table is challenging, yet doable with practice (and the right and sharp gravers). Working the pivot is proving the most challenging to me, as the graver has to be shaped and sharpened just right, and it takes some practice to turn that small of a pivot.

Right now I have a steel and a sapphire burnisher, and dimantine powder.

I have a peerless lathe watchmaker lathe.

I have an Elgin and a US Standard that I am planning to make staffs for. As soon as I have a finished staff, I will post on my site www.timepieceshoppe.com

Might be a while,

Joel

Posts: 21 | Location: Chico, California in the USA | Registered: July 11, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Joel,
I think that making flat parts out of spring steel is much easier than making staffs. (especially for wristwatches) There is a great book on making parts. "Twenty-First Century Watchmaking," by William O. Smith, Jr. CMW, CMC is the definitive book on parts making. It is written in plain English, with lots of excellent pictures.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
I'm trying to do Smith's suggestions right now- my stumbling block seems to be that countersinking tools for the screw is nolonger available. Grobet was able to cross-over the old Vigor numbers, but I just got the Italian made ones from Jules Borel.

Posts: 51 | Location: Hurst, Texas USA | Registered: January 14, 2007
posted
A modest contribution to show that nothing is really difficult.... Big Grin sorry for the blurried pics but i took them with the phone camera, i am available for explanations...

brgds

enzo

http://germanwatch.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=gene...ay&thread=1196208263

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
More progress this weekend- made the table rests per Smith's book. Now just a little time and O-1 steel sheet and I'm set. What is soft steel wire for wraping the part so it heats/quenches evenly??

Michael

Posts: 51 | Location: Hurst, Texas USA | Registered: January 14, 2007
posted
Michael,

suitable copper wire will fit, after temper you may need annealing to avoid breakage.
rgds

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005