Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Father Time Help (Solved) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I have a Father Time that I thought was ready to go. It won't. With the fork out I get very good backspin and excellent balance wheel action. I am not sure I re-installed the safety roller properly. It has a concave in the center hole on one side and on the other side it is flat. Does the concave go up or down?. The problem is that I cannot get it to run and I believe the problem is in the Escape system. It came to me with a broken staff and I have fixed that but still no tic tock. All the parts are the original except for the staff and it's the staff the book calls for and was measured before it was installed.
Any body got any ideas?
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Get a good light and see if the roller is touching the top of the fork, or glue on roller jewel etc, table not flat, jewels set correctly, sometime you have get on the lathe and adjust the roller table height by taking a bit of the staff , is the guard finger clear.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1555
posted
Concave side goes down or to the dial side Patrick.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Bila, Ya, I thought something was wrong in that area. I've got it concave up, which just because of the conclave itself would change the height of the safety roller.

Chris, I did that yesterday but really can't see in that far.The only thing changed since disassembly is the staff. The jewels are clean and look really good, the impulse pin looks good. It's just not fitting together properly which I believe is due to an upside down safety roller.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Great to see you salvaged another one Patrick, keep up the good work.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Bila, Thanks for the encouragement. It's the best thing I can receive.
I have discovered that the book calls for a 2532 staff. I have about 5 different catalogs so I looked in a different book and it was the same and the third book called for a 2532 C so I tried the 2532 C and it fit. BUT I broke a pinion on it and now need another x 2.