Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin grade 181 Stopworks question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Friends;

I consider my self very lucky to own an Elgin 18 size, grade 181, with the fully intact stopworks mechanism on the going barrel. I have just fully cleaned and oiled the watch but the best run time I have been able to get is around 18 hours on a "full" wind. I suspect that the stopworks is not correctly set. Can anyone share the proper process for setting this mechanism or point me in the direction of how to get this accomplished?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
posted
Hi Serge , I am not an elgin expert , But let me take a stab , 18 hrs is about what I get with an old mainspring that is "set" , did you replace the main spring ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Kevin,

That is a very good point and I was suspicious that the spring may have taken a set. I'm comfortable with replacing mainsprings but with the Stopworks i'm not sure how to properly set it. I'm more concerned about doing harm to the mechanism or the movement so for now I'll leave it as it is... "do no harm" Big Grin

Thanks for your valued input!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1851
posted
The idea is to use the middle section of available spring power, improving isochronism.
Figure out the total number of turns the spring can be wound.
Subtract from that the number of slots in stop works.
Divide result by two.
Preload the mainspring this amount and assemble stopworks.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Thank you very much Paul!

Kindest regards,

Serge