Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crystal clear "Click" to Login or Register 
<toifil>
posted
What is the proper way to install a thick crystal on the old Waltham and Elgins of the 19th and early 20th century?
What is the proper measuring area and the adhesive required. Also, I have a nice Elgin with the crystal scratched so badly it almost resembles frost on the window. Is there a way to grind the surface away?
THank you......

Ken Morford

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Ken, polishing crystals has been discussed several times recently in our Watch Repair Forum. I think you'll find some advice there and I'm copying your question over there so it will get the right attention. Fitting a replacement crystal properly may seem a bit complicated at first.

Welcome to Chapter 185. You'll find some really friendly people who really want to help you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Ken,

You've given me an idea for my next Helping Hand presentation. It will cover glass crystal installations. Here is one of the slides I just completed for converting Ligne sizes to Millimeters.

In the meantime, take Lindell's advice and search our site for some great information about crystals and other watch repair items. If you look about a fourth of the way down on each page, you will see a "search" link for our site. This will get you started in the right direction.

Chapter 185 hasn't reached its first birthday yet but has already amassed a huge inventory of watch, clock and horology related information. It's at your fingertips or should I say mouse button.

Welcome aboard my friend, nice to see you posting here again.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003