• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

hamilton 992 disassembly "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Hamilton 992 and want to remove it from the case for balance staff replacement and a good cleaning.i have plenty of time and am buying tools as needed. any intructions on getting it out without damage to stem? I have made my movement holder and a balance tack.I see now why the invention of the watchmakers bench was a good idea. any advice would be appreciated.thank you,G.Vanzant

Posts: 7 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: August 12, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Greg,
As long as you don't force anything you should be all right. Make sure the case screws are removed before attempting to take out the movement which is removed from the dial side of the case. Some cases require pulling the crown up until it clicks into what would be the set position if it was a pendant set watch. On many RR style cases the crown cannot be lifted so the stem is short enough to allow the movement to be removed. The crown may need to be turned slightly while removing or installing the movement.
Good luck,
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Mr.Romero, I think you have solved my problem.That crown will not lift.I didnt force or distort the stem because i took off the winding or transmission gear and looked under it at that ratchet gear.there is no room for that stem to travel. I just didnt want to snap that stem in half pulling on it.Thank you vey much for the quick reply.This is a fine watch for a rookie to be working on.thanks again,G.Vanzant

Posts: 7 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: August 12, 2010