Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Safety Table Cracked "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi ,
I am working on an Elgin, where I found that the safety table is cracked and not aligned with the jewel.
First I assume that the table is made of two pieces, is that correct?
Then what would cause this damage?
And where would I go for a replacement? What part #?
Do I need to get a complete roller table and safety table?
Mel

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
This is caused by a replacement staff being of too large a diameter and the repairer hammering the safety roller in place anyway. It can still function normally with a crack but you might want to remove it and turn the staff down for a correct fit. If left untreated, the roller can eventually split in 2.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mel, you can probably get a replacement part from Brian Cavanaugh at; pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

I suggest you give him the s/n movement plus size and grade# if you have them too.

The indexing of the safety roller you show in the picture could be a result of the cracking allowing the roller to be loose on the staff and as Bill White advised, it may eventually break in half completely stopping the watch.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi William and Dave,
Thanks for the input.
Is the table a two piece or one piece? (not including the jewel). Can I just replace the safety table, and how important is the alignment?
What would be the ramifications of the misalignment of the cutout to the jewel?
What a pest with all these questions.
Mel

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Melvin,

2 piece. Alignment is important. The guard pin needs to enter and exit this cutout as it passes and would foul other areas of the safety roller if not aligned.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mel, the safety roller notch has to be centered on the roller pin to work correctly. These are usually assembled by using the correct stumps and stakes in a good staking set.

Trying to manipulate the safety roller as shown in your picture could easily endanger ( BREAK) the Roller jewel so unless the safety roller is falling off, I would disassemble all parts* of the balance wheel and start over again with re-assembly after confirming the new safety roller is a light press fit. (*Hairspring, Roller/Jewel assembly and safety roller)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi David,
This was supposed to be a training project for me.
Take it apart, clean, reassemble.
I have learned so much.

In disassembling, I'm thinking, the safety table will come off easily, since it is cracked. and may split when I take it off.
Perhaps I should just rebuild with a new staff, new roller (safety and jeweled), just keep the hairspring assy and the balance.
Or should I just look for a complete balance assembly?
Mel

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
you should be able to repalce just the safety roller the large roller table should be okay if not cracked,,, on most of these elgin,s the safety roller is the same for both 18 size and 16 size movements.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mel, Samie said it all. Everything on that balance wheel is fine . . . EXCEPT the Safety Roller. I am sure that Brian Cavanaugh has one of those. Otherwise we could help hook you up with someone who could replace the safety roller and then re-poise the wheel.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Should be no need to re-poise the wheel if it was poised to start with due to the safety table being replaced. As the safety roller table is very close to the centre of rotation, but if you are unsure on the initial poise as David said, get it checked.

Cheers
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Melvin,

If you can't find a replacement safety roller, the one with a crack will work just fine if it is allowed to reside on a staff of correct dimensions. You'll need to reduce that portion of the staff for a new roller anyway, right? As you know, the safety roller never comes into contact with the guard pin unless one of the pallet stones is forced from its locked state causing premature impulse. It won't disintegrate just because its cracked and can function normally indefinitely. Just make it fit and you're all set. ....at least that's what I'd do, especially considering that the safety roller is an unseen part with a static function.

William

posted
Hi and thank you all for your inputs so far.
The hairspring came off rather easily, and I hope will go back the same way.
I am about to take the roller table and safety table off next.

Do they come off together?

Assuming they do, do I have the next step set up correctly.
A stump with a "T" shaped slot to clear the rear of the roller jewel.

See Picture(s)
Then the balance assembly (less the Hairspring)

posted
The assembly

posted
Then tap lightly after having aligned the stump in the fixture

posted
Last picture
Have not done the deed yet, awaiting comments

Mel

posted
Hi, Thanks for the input.
So before I tried to take the roller off, I purchased a replacement.
Wouldn't you know it, that safety table was cracked as well.
Must be a generic problem with the design.??
To further complicate my dilemma, the punch I was about to use had a broken tip, so I am unable to knock off the original one.
Mel