WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stop Watch (or Pocket Timer) questions: Terms, Hands "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello folks,
Is there a standard terminology when referring to the parts of a simple pocket timer? Referring to the parts under the dial: Is it an actuator lever, operating lever, or pusher? Is it a flyback lever, hammer, or reset lever? Is it a column wheel, pillar wheel, castle wheel, or actuator cam??
I've read Seibel and Hagans, Complicated Watches; TM 9-1575, US Army Tech Manual; Bulova Watch Repair Training Manual; and very helpful articles by Ed Hahn on the TimeZone website. Granted, these cover different types of chronographs (some of which are not simple timers, rather, some are time-keeping watches that also have a timer function), but they differ even within themselves. Seibel and Hagans calls the piece a pillar wheel, actuator cam, and castle wheel.
I assume there's no standard terminology; are all these terms generally acceptable?
On a different note: Are the hands (seconds register and minutes register) on some timers mounted permanently on the boss on the heart-shaped cam? I read that some require removing the hands whereas for others, you remove the dial leaving the hands and heart-shaped cams intact.
Thanks,
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Peter,

I'm trying to digest all of Seibel and Hagans also. I have a feeling that the different terminology might depend on country of orgin of the writer. European watchmakers have different names for parts than american watchmakers. Just my guess.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks Mike,
The pocket timer I'm investigating is an Eric Armin model, made in China. It uses wire springs, instead of nice machined metal springs, for the various levers under the dial. I have succeeded in reassembling the movement Big Grin, but the manipulation of the wire springs during reassembly is difficult. Question: Is there a proper or better way to disassemble and reassemble these components? For example, in what order should they be removed from the plate? Upon reassembly, is it better to place all the levers in the plate and THEN put in the springs? Each of the reference works I cited above gives the preferred order of disassembly/reassembly for their respective watches; the closest I've seen to the Armin model is the Waltham model (in spring arrangement, anyway) shown in Seibel and Hagans. Their tip is to put in the springs untensioned and then move them into the tensioned positions. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has a technique they use on this type of watch.
Thanks,
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004