Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HOT & COLD Crystals ? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I had a nice case that needed a crystal so I ordered two of them, one for stock. I worked for about an hour total and then cracked the crystal. Not being too concerned because I had another I tried to install it and shattered it. So I ordered a third. (Now I'm into this thing $30.00 and still don't have a crystal for it.)Measurements are matching but crystals are not snapping in. So I try something I learned in Science class years ago. Put the crystal in the refrigerator for an hour. (The next step must be done quickly.) Using your alcohol lamp heat the bezel. JUST warm it, don't make it too hot. The metal will expand and you can snap the cold crystal right in. Cold causes contraction and heat will cause expansion. When they both come back to ambient temperature all is well.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
heat and cold could also cause the crystal to shatter.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree with Jim that going with extreme temperatures can be problematical.

Methods of fitting crystals may be controversial, for what it is worth, here is my method...

Very carefully fit the crystal into the bezel by hand and turn it to find the best fitting position. Using a felt-tip pen mark that position with a dot on the crystal and on the bezel. Then turn the crystal to the position where it most easily can be removed and remove it from the bezel. Bed a slight amount of L&R Crystal Cement into the groove then with your finger tip even it out all around the groove and immediately install the crystal. Let it sit overnight then clean off any excess cement with Nail Polish Remover which is a gentle acetone-based cleaner. Isopropyl Alcohol easily removes the pen marks. Clean off stickers or any other issues with glass cleaner.

Like I said above crystal fitting can be controversial. Some will recommend heating the bezel to expand it prior to installation, you may also want to use a hair dryer on low heat to dry the crystal cement faster. There are those who do not use any cement, still others use ultra-violet cement.

Additional information... "Fitting Crystals"

Hope this is of help.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I am beginning to learn to the method of, "If it don't snap in then try to sand it a little or get a smaller size and as you said cement it in. I have a ultraviolet lamp made for crystal glue. Also remember I said the refrigerator for an hour. Most refrigerators are set about 40 degrees which is not really very cold. And the bezel can easily take a temp of a hair dryer or alcohol lamp. Restrain your self and don't get carried away. Common sense should always be applied.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011