• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balloon Chuck "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone out there tell me how & why you would use these tools. I have two of them that came with some late collets. I understand that the balance does not have to be taken apart, time saver?

But, if I am looking at this correctly only the end of the balance staff pivot is exposed beyond the shield. Is it just for rounding or flatening the staff end?
So far I have not seen a reference in any book as to how they are used.

Thanks

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Bob,

Balloon chucks are very useful for polishing pivots. I wouldn't use them for attemting to straighten a pivot.

Make sure they are in good shape before using.

I think they can be found in the Goodrich book as well as Perkins.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
The ones you posted are very close to the ones I have. I guess I'll have to practice with these.

Today I remove the roller table and hairspring and polish free hand. I have had good luck so far.

My watch mentor instructed to put the staff and balance wheel back in the movement after staffing or polishing and test the freedom in all positions. If it checks out okay then mount the roller table and hairspring.

Thinking about it futher, if one is to test the freedom the hairspring and roller table would be in the way? Maybe these chucks will go up for sale.

Thanks for the post!

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Bob,
You could always test without the pallet in. I would hang on to the chucks. You might change you mind someday.
Scott

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In the last 200 or so watches, I have used a Balloon chuck 4 or 5 times to polish a pivot that is slightly damaged by a cracked or broken jewel. Risking the Balance wheel assembly by removing the Hairspring and the roller(s) is only a "last resort" if the Beat Timing is uncorrectibly bad (>10 Msec RR, 30 mSec others) making it clear everything is messed up.
Keep those Balloon chucks. They work quickly and safely for pivot polishing.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Guys, I'll take your advice and hold on to them.

Wink

posted
Hello All,
I'm a newbie here and would like to ask if anyone could please explain to me how one uses the balloon chucks to polish pivots. A photo or video of one in use would be great, but even a description would help. Is the polishing done with a file? If so do you support the backside of the pivot? What kind of speed on the lathe, or do you even run the motor?

Posts: 1 | Location: Taunton, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
If it's really bad I use a fingernail file to smooth it into shape on the lathe, then I will switch to a very fine stone and finally a piece of leather glued to a stick. Some times I will use fine grit automotive rubbing compound on the strip of leather. Remember to clean the leather when you are done.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
Yes Dave, having trouble with this visualization also .
It seems like the pivot is inserted in the balloon, with the small end protruding out the end?
This is a page from "the watchmakers lathe" by Goodrich and is free online.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015