Internet Horology Club 185
Winding Problem with a Hamilton 992B

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/9601067013

May 13, 2008, 15:12
Tom Brown
Winding Problem with a Hamilton 992B
I have a problem with a 992B that I can't figure out. I have cleaned & oiled the watch & it runs fine but the problem is when winding the watch the stem does not want to go backwards in motion. I removed the dial after noticing the problem, it appears the winding & setting clutch does not want to slip on the winding pinon or another possibility is the stem is jamming some how that I can't see. Also when in the time set position the stem will rotate both direction all though it is kind of stiff.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Tom
May 14, 2008, 06:39
Chris Abell
Hi Tom,

I would firstly remove the barrel bridge and examine closely that everything is seated correctly, check it all rotates ok. Look of course for damaged parts always assume the worst for instance someone has been levering the movement out of the case and bent the stem or a setting/winding part, if everything ok, open up the clutch and winding pinion using the LS add some lube to the teeth of the clutch and make sure it backwinds smoothly first, then lube the cannon pinion lightly and retest

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
May 14, 2008, 08:01
Tom Brown
Hi Chris

Thanks for the info., I will give that a try. I had lubed the parts when I cleaned it but maybe something is wrong under the bridge. I am sure I must have something a little out of wack.

Tom
May 14, 2008, 18:33
Scott Cerullo
Tom,
Can you take off the dial and post a pic. It seems like something isn't meshing up correctly.

www.pawatchmaker.com