Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Winding Problem with a Hamilton 992B "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have a problem with a 992B that I can't figure out. I have cleaned & oiled the watch & it runs fine but the problem is when winding the watch the stem does not want to go backwards in motion. I removed the dial after noticing the problem, it appears the winding & setting clutch does not want to slip on the winding pinon or another possibility is the stem is jamming some how that I can't see. Also when in the time set position the stem will rotate both direction all though it is kind of stiff.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Tom,

I would firstly remove the barrel bridge and examine closely that everything is seated correctly, check it all rotates ok. Look of course for damaged parts always assume the worst for instance someone has been levering the movement out of the case and bent the stem or a setting/winding part, if everything ok, open up the clutch and winding pinion using the LS add some lube to the teeth of the clutch and make sure it backwinds smoothly first, then lube the cannon pinion lightly and retest

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Chris

Thanks for the info., I will give that a try. I had lubed the parts when I cleaned it but maybe something is wrong under the bridge. I am sure I must have something a little out of wack.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Tom,
Can you take off the dial and post a pic. It seems like something isn't meshing up correctly.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003