Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Replacement crown sought "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have an 1907 18s 19j BWR Elgin that, in some past repair shop apparently had the grooves recut into the crown of the watch, as the rounded edge has been worn smooth from years of winding and setting. This hasn't been a problem, but I've noticed recently that small chunks of metal have come out from between the refiled grooves, leaving small jagged holes that will only get worse as time goes along. The case is a B&B Royal, warrantied 20 years, and the style is the twin to the 17j Elgin Aaron had for sale last May, and still pictured in the 'For Sale' section, only mine being 18s. (I'd highjack the picture and post it here , but have no idea how. (grins))Where could I find a replacment crown? Other than that, except for a little brassing on the bottom of the case, it's in excellent condition, but this crown sure takes away from it's appearance. Frown Thanks! Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Aaron's 17J Watch

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Mark,

I added the picture of Aaron's watch. Hope it was the one you were referring to.

Sometimes you have to go on eBay and buy a group of crowns to get the one you need. I might have a crown like you need but without the crown in hand it would be hard to tell. I'll check my stash after work tonight and see if I have anything close.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you very much, John. Any help would be MOST appreciated. Thank for moving the picture too. Pretend this is an 18s, and you're looking at my watch. (grins) Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Mark,

I may have a crown but would need your old crown to match it up.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
email sent. Thanks. Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Mark,

It is best to send the entire case so the crown might be properly fit.

Regards,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm awaiting John's reply to that idea, though. (grins) Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Hi Mark! I think i can help you out awhile back i bought a set of 30 antique and new crowns it looks like i can match it up. Send me your address will get in mail asap. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you very much Ted! email sent with address. High regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Did any of you receive my emails? I used the contact email addresses here at the chapter forum. I have not heard back from you after your initial contacts here, as well as a single email response.

I also need to know the cost, so I can send a money orderto pay for the crown. I'm not looking for a hand out...I'm just trying to locate a part for my watch.

My mailing address is:

Mark Cross
105 Plainview Drive
Estill Springs, TN 37330

Thanks again for your time. Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Mark,

There are many styles of similar looking crowns that at first glance may appear to be right for your watch. Unfortunately there are numerous variations. The sole and only way to properly fit a crown and have everything work properly is with the complete watch in-hand. I urge you to focus on sending the watch to someone with a large variety of crowns and the skill to make any needed modifications or repairs.

Ted is clearly very willing to try and help you from a distance. That is highly commendable. Problem is, the best of intentions could have a crown sent to you that may be for a different diameter of thread size on the stem. That method simply will not work. Without seeing up inside the crown you presently have the chances if being able to successfully guess the proper match from a picture of someone else's watch is a practical impossibility... an exercise in utter futility.

Crowns that may look identical at first glance more often than not turn out to be very different. My friend, this is not as simple as you believe it to be.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you Lindell. I'm fully aware of all you say. I'm just trying to contact the folks who offered help to see if they would be willing to look at the watch first hand, as you recommend, or know if there was a specific crown that the case could be matched to. So far everyone has fallen off radar after first contact. I guess I'll have to see if Rich can work me in next month, as I'm hitting a wall here. Thanks to all who offered, though. Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Mark,

I just checked with Rich and as I suspected he does not have a large selection of this style of pocket watch crowns. My suggestion is send your watch to JohnD and let him take care of it for you.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks for that tip, Lindell. I'll not bother Rich then. John is one of the folks I'm waiting for a reply. John, if you're out there, buddy, would it be acceptable to you for me to do this? Thanks for any consideration! Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Hi Mark! Lindell is right about fitting it. But i put one in the mail today for you. Hope it works a stab in the dark. Mark just send it back if not right. TED

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you Ted. I'll do it. Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163