Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BALL ILLINOIS SECOMETER WATCH "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I bought this 12 size ball 19 jewel secometer watch on ebay last week and have started to take it apart for a cleaning and new main spring.

the painted dial is made out of what looks like a aluminum alloy of some kind ,,i was wondering what would be the best way to clean the dial also has anyone worked on these secometer watches before if so how did you get the disc on the secometer porition off..the second,s disc is stuck tight i have alraedy put more pressure on it than i like to trying to remove it but no luck so far..

i would think that it should come off like a regural second hand..

i am hoping this takes a regular 12 size illinois mainspring

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
back of the dial

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
secometer disc

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
close upi

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Samie,
This might work.
Remove all the gearing from the pillar plate except the 4th wheel. Holding the pillar plate up side down (with the seconds dial down) hold the dial flat against the pillar plate to keep it from rotating while turning the 4th wheel back and forth with your right hand. This should allow the 4th wheel to be gently pulled up away from the plate and the seconds disk, without damaging either. If the seconds disk slips while holding it against the pillar plate, try putting a piece of soft rubber (like the rubber disks used to open stuck jar lids) over the seconds disk. Apply the twisting force slowly to the 4th wheel, if the seconds disk is corroded to the 4th wheel pinion extension it could break off.
To gently clean these metal dials including the seconds disk, rub them gently with a clean white "artgum" eraser, available from any stationary store. Do NOT use a regular pencil eraser, it can cause damage to the dial.
Your movement should take a standard 12 size Illinois mainspring.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
thanks Ed i will it a try,,i have owned a couple of hamilton wacthes with the rotating dial but never had to service them...This is a very interresting watch 19 jewel and double roller,, plates look just like a 16 size ball railroad watch same pattern...

I looked at 4th wheel pinion and it is corroded, i have broke these before and they are not easy to find..