Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Admiral 12s Balance Hole Jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
Fist attempt at one of these guys....obvious Balance Staff problem...I figured no big deal...order a staff...and...Upper and lower jewels to match....upon inspection...Oh...Oh
what do we have here??...What tool do I need to get these puppy's out...and then...BACK IN??
Once again...I'm looking for more of that expert advice out there...thanks.

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Ooops...forgot to add picture...@#!&*

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Tony,

You may not realize it, but you have HUGE problems there. Before attempting anything else, I'd recommend trying to find a new balance staff, and seeing how that turns out. I doubt you'll be able to get one, but I might be wrong.

If you can't obtain a staff, the only options will be to repivot the old one, or make a new one, both of which are advanced lathe projects.

Assuming you're able to resolve the staff issues, the next problem will be the jewels, which are burnished into their settings. For a watch of this grade (common, and not historically significant), the best solution would be to install new "friction jewels." In order to do that, it'll be necessary to obtain a friction jeweling kit and some suitable jewels, but those are readily available.

In order to do a "conservation quality" job, it would be necessary to open up the existing jewel bezels, and burnish new jewels into the holes. That requires a lathe, a jeweling faceplate, some jewel burnishing tools, and a huge amount of skill.

In short, it's possible to repair virtually anything, including the watch you have, but if you're a beginning watchmaker, you'd be much better advised to start with something easier -- preferably something common, and American made.

Elgins are typically nice "starters." Wink

Hope this helps!

=====================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Ah...Ha...I see now ...I'm going to have to aquire a few more skills soon...Is there a Book I can purchase which describes how these jewels are replaced???Thanks for your assistance...Tony C

posted
Henry Fried's Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers has a good chapter on jewelling. It is available from the Lending Library. If you are looking to purchase a copy, it is published by The Arlington Book Company ISBN 0-9656219-1-X

Steve's right, it's a tough skill to learn. Burnishing in balance jewels are even more difficult, since there is absolutely no room for error.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks Guys...I guess I'll put this project aside till another day.....on to the next challenge.