Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Silver PW Case Cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hope this question is not redundant!
Should one polish a coin Silver pocket watch case or leave it with a black patina. Does the value or desirability change, if it is polished?

JOHNHPINTO

Posts: 38 | Location: Quebec in Canada | Registered: December 29, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Some believe it is not original if polished. With that said, it is your call as to what you want. If you want to clean it without polishing it try soaking it in ammonia and water. Be sure to take the stem and sleeve out first.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Thanks for your info and advice Edward.

JOHNHPINTO

posted
Hugh-

Not to be redundant with Ed, but I myself prefer the original, darker patina look for silver cases. As far as value goes, i don't usually see any difference in value between an unpolished and polished silver case on a watch when it comes to selling time. We all have our preferences and there's guys out there that like the shiny bling just as I like the original patina!

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Thanks Jared.
I also lean toward leaving the patina there, if someone else obtains it, they can clean or polish it off, as they see fit. After all, the patination is a long time process, which after cleaning will take a lifetime to return, and I dont have too many of them! LOL

JOHNHPINTO

Picture of David Flegel
posted
As someone who has in the past been involved with the selling of antiques. I found the general rule to be polish silver and gold, leave brass, copper, bronze etc. to age.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
IHC Member 1701
posted
I use Hope's brass polish on silver cases. It is nonabrasive & has no ammonia. use a soft cloth to apply. It will make a tarnished silver case look new. I purchase it at Bed bath & beyond.

Posts: 38 | Location: Maryville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hugh, if you want the case to look like it did when new, polish it. If you want it to look old, leave it as is. Your case, your call.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002