Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

roller table romoval "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hello on this super bowl Sunday, My question is regarding roller table removal tools. I recently acquired a set of these and used them today for the first time. I would like to know the recommended procedure for use of this tool. Tool consists of different size "jaws" and knurled wheels that they screw into. I assume these are used in tandem with a staking tool. Thanks. Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Gary,

I think this is the type of tool you are talking about, very effective and easy to use, here I am removing a double roller from a wrist watch balance needing a staff replacement,
So very easy to use, use centering punch to align table, remove insert table tool as below open jars, insert balance assy and close jaws slowly until they fit under the table, but not to tight as to pinch the staff or mar balance etc

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Select a punch that fits over the pivot and sits on the shoulder/cone of the staff (but not touching the roller check this very carefully before proceeding), in this case we are replacing the staff so any further damage to the staff doesn’t matter other than it is best to keep intact should you need to take measurements to make your own staff (I normally take as many measurement I can before this if I have to make my own staff), if you intend to re use the staff great care has to be taken selecting the correct punch or use the standard hairpin like bergeon tool that does not touch the pivots.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hold the stake between finger and thumb apply slight downward pressure to stop bounce (when staffing you need to lift the whole assy off the table) and using a brass hammer make a few VERY gentle taps and you will feel it fall through. As you can see I am slightly out of align, with the stake and staff in the pictures, you should really correct this, but I know it would not be a problem in this case, the pivot was broken so sitting mainly on the broken stump

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hi Chris, This is indeed the tool I am referring to. Thank You very much, this information is very helpful. I see the problem I am having, my set needs the little arm that goes on the jaws to hold it while tightening the thumbwheel. I'll need to fabricate something for this purpose. Thanks again, it is so great to have these resources available, that you all so freely provide. Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Chris for both the detailed descriptions and photos!

Debbie
Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002