Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Basic Cleaning Machine Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All!
Name is Jason here and I’m very new at this (right around 6 months now). I’m to the point where I can assemble and disassemble a 16s or 18s American pocket watch with not too much trouble or bad language. Now I think I am ready to start cleaning and getting some of these old junkers running. Only problem is I don’t have a cleaning machine. I am fairly sure that I can’t afford some of the higher end machines. Here is my question. What is out there in terms of a cleaning machine either ultrasonic or mechanical for around $200? And also how do you dry your parts? Someone in another forum told me he uses a GemPro ultrasonic to clean and a hair dryer to dry. I just don’t know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Posts: 4 | Location: Holly Springs, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Jason,

Basically for $200 or under you will get a rotary type machine with a 3 or 4 jar system + dryer stage. This is used with correct cleaners (L&R) will do a good job. The cleaning solution are not cheap ($40 per gallon) but are designed specifically for this purpose, don’t be tempted to start inventing your own solutions at the is stage. There are many tips about cleaning and oils etc to be found on this section of the site.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thank you so much for responding Chris. By the way your website and subsequent work on it are impeccable.

Where would I go about looking to buy one of these? I am assuming I would have to buy one used. I went out to eBay and didn’t see much there. I guess my question is where can I look to find one of these machines and what specifically do I ask for. Not a part or model number, but I should tell people that I am looking for rotary type machine with a 3 or 4 jar system + dryer stage? I guess L&R is the manufacturer of these machines?

Posts: 4 | Location: Holly Springs, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
You could try, here in the wanted section, somebody may well have already seen this and get in touch, after that you will be in the lucky dip on Ebay, the machines are generally very old, and how well they work is by chance only. Often parts are missing, baskets, or jars and patience is the key to finding a good one.
I have just upgraded my own machine to s fully automatic system that I have been looking for over 2 years, the old machine it replaces is I think already spoken for a Zenith 4 jars (+4 spare jars) & heater. Like all watchmaking tools good items are highly sought after, new machines are out of the reach of most.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member
posted
Jason- I've been through it all with an old L&R Master I got for $40. I had to rewire and replace the light bulb-but it works fine now. Those old machines do tend to be tough-ebay has one every once in a while,you should be able to get a working one for around $100.
I have posted where to get the best prices for solutions-check the search; or email me no problem-martybspace-ebay@yahoo.com - I'm glad to help.

Marty

posted
Chris, Marty you guys are great. Thank you so much!

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Here is one is on ebay 140235483863

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Jason,
I have a Zenith with three jars and a dryer (mixer style) and a Mckenna Cleaner Ultrasonic with two actuated cups, one dunk cup and a dryer. Email me at cerullo_s@comcast.net if you are interested. Stay away from a ultrasonic made for jewelry because the cavitation won't be strong enough to clean the watch parts.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott, I responded by email.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jason

I doesn't matter to me if you get Scott's or mine, which ever one fits your needs. Let me know which way you go so I can put mine on ebay.

Thanks
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007