WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tough to wind, AWWCo 12s 1894 - typical? wrong main spring? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I just finished the COA on a common 12S 17J Adj model 1894 Waltham 12s in a 14K white gold octagonal case.

This case has almost no wear and no tool marks... And I would almost bet it is because it is an absolute bear to wind.

The crown is a typical 12s gold watch crown,,, tiny and nestled in the neck so you can't get your finger/thumb on much of it.

I did the COA, all components are in perfect condition and roll smooth. The motor barrel is perfect and fitted with a blue steel main spring in excellent condition. I even cleaned and lubed the spring

Is this simply a function of the design of the case and the gear reduction in the winding system? Should it be fitted with a softer spring?

I guess what I'm asking is, is this a design issue or a parts issue.

Thanks,

Paul

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Paul,

There are many things it could be, assuming the crown is the correct diameter, as a slightly smaller one can make a big difference.
quick test remove the ratchet wheel without removing from the case and see if it still stiff to wind, if so remove crown wheel and lube. check movement not twisted in case.
if ok remove spring rebuild barrel and check, refit spring assuming correct size, lube arbor at plate re test, if that fails wrap tightly in $20 bills and ship to me Smile .

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1736
posted
You funny guy... I'll likely die trying before my ego allows me to part with that many bills.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012